Home built elevator

A few years ago there was a post here on a home built elevator. We are thinking about installing one and would appreciate any good ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance, Walt

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

If you plan on using it just for equipment or stuff, you won't have too much of a problem with inspection. If you plan on using it for people then you will have a bunch of problems getting it approved.

John

Reply to
john

Reply to
RoyJ

The type suggestions we were asking for was design and construction. Someone posted here awhile back with pics and instructions on one he built. We can handle the approval. Walt

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

Try this link:

Google:

"home made elevator" (use the quotes)

and

"homemade elevator" (use the quotes)

Pete Stanaitis

E. Walter Le Roy wrote:

Reply to
spaco

I've seen it done using a forklift mast and it worked great.

Reply to
rustyjames

i know this isn't an "elevator", i've just been itching for an excuse to post this link. first time i saw this thing it was love at first sight. i wanna build one of these. it's a thing of beauty.

wondering if it would be possible to use a garage door opener as it's motive force. (not intending to use it for people though)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

Although this is not an elevator I thought I would pass it along. I built this stair trolley to make moving stuff up and down stairs easier.

Some photos and a short video at

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

I received a couple of email responses to my previous message. I tried to respond to one of them but the email bounced back twice so I will ost my reply here and hope that the correspondent sees it.

The trolley is supported by two gas cylinders purchased at the auto supply store. They come in different weight ratings and I think that mine are about 60 pound rated. It takes quite a firm push to get it folded down. I haven't yet put anything on it that it won't hold. If I can lift it on it will go up! For that matter when moving the Christmas stuff up my son in law and I hoist the tubs onto the trolley, some are quite heavy, and it goes well. I am glad that I posted the message as I have received several emails back. Odd isn't it how seeing what someone else has done will trigger ideas.

Errol

Reply to
Errol Groff

That is rather clever. I've seen riding chairs at lodges and in my Grandmothers home. Those going around corners are interesting.

Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Errol, i'm assuming they simply don't carry 110 volt winches any more, i looked at harbor freight's on-line catalog and didn't see any. was wondering if you have a part number handy or any other sources for 110 volt winches. (seems like it would be a huge hassle to try to convert a 12 volt one, or try use it as a 12 volt (with some kind of inverter or hauling a battery around, etc.))

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Try searching under "hoist" instead... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford