Home- Built TIG WELDER

Hello
Am wondering if any of the readers of this newsgroup have been following
the efforts of several different people with regard to Home-Built TIG
welding equipment and in particular the effort to attach a unit after the
main transformer/rectifier of an existing TIG welder , I would be very
interested hearing from anyone that has had success or failure with this
process , Mr. Dave Barrett from B.C. has published a set of schematics for
such a device at
,
would be interested in hearing from someone that has built or experimented
with this unit , I contacted Dave Barrett and he is too busy at this time to
give much effort to the project , their must be a bunch of older welders out
in the field that could be updated to modern standard , with the price of
modern welders from $4,000 to $11,000 , I think it could be worth the effort
, again , I would welcome all ideas .
Thanks
Phil L.
W8KLK
Reply to
Phil
One thing that keeps me a little surprised about Dave's welder is that I have not seen any pictures of actual welds. I would think that welds represent such an ultimate expression of success that it would be natural to make a few pictures of them. Maybe he is too busy now though.
I chose a different route, which is that I took a real welder (3 phase Hobart CyberTIG) and converted it to microprocessor control, rather than mess with stuff taken out of dumpsters.
Ignoramus16532
I did contact Dave in B.C. and he is very busy and will be so for the near future , he is a Ham radio operator like myself , said he would give me as much help as possible , I did find a site that had some info. on using commercial controllers and IGBT's , believe the man was also using a Hobart Cyber TIG welder , must be a good machine , the problem a lot of us have is that we are limited to 1 phase power at home , I used a Miller 350 Syncrowave at my workplace , also a 1 phase machine , I liked it very well but it still had limitations , especially on Alum. , I am going to check around and hopefully find a up-grade for my older Miller , have the Dynasty 300 in mind and will probably spring for that unit. Phil W8KLK
Reply to
Phil
could possibly be me. :)
I have a 3 phase Cyber TIG, and I also am limited to single phase power -- so I use a phase converter.
sounds good!
igor
Reply to
Ignoramus5766