Welding Machine Upgrade

Hello Am wondering if any of the readers of this group have been following the effort of Dave Barrett and Will Coetzee , with regard to their TIG Welder Project , I haven't had contact with either one of these people yet, but it looks like they have spent a good amount of time turning a simple BUZZ box into what looks to be a real useful machine , they have information at

and I am very interested in what they have accomplished . I have been TIG welding for many years and the welders have advanced much , over those years , I have one of the older Miller 330 machines and it works very well for basic welding , D.C. is OK except that you must go in steps from LO, MED. and HIGH and it isn't really linear , big gap between High end of MEDIUM and Lo end of HIGH range , A.C. of course is standard 60 Hz. sine wave and 50/50 on polarity , what these two guy's have done is to use a standard power supply either A.C. with a bridge added for D.C. , or in my case , everything is already in place , including the High Freq.and potential for 300 amps. Have been looking at the Miller Syncrowave and Dynasty , have been using a

350 Syncrowave for several years and they work very well , price range on a machine that will go from 20 to 400 Hz. and 0 to 100% negative is about $5,000 to $11,000 , probably with the electric saved using the inverter power supply and many hours of paid work , one could justify this much expense , would be great if a few welding purest could gather the information needed to retro some of our older machines , I am sure that anybody that welds trailer hitches or steel fences could care less , people like myself that weld aircraft parts and .020 " heat exchangers could benefit from an updated welder , would be interested in any comments . Thanks Phil L. W8KLK
Reply to
Phil

So, you have an old DC TIG welder and want to build an inverter for it? Plus regulate it better? Is that right?

Ignoramus13955

Reply to
Phil