Any glider pilots in this group?

I just subscribed to this group. Looks pretty active.

Any glider pilots here?

I am an active glider pilot on Long Island, NY. I am a member of the Long Island Silent Flyers.

. Our field is located in Syosset.

I am also an active competition pilot in the Eastern Soaring League which organizeds 30-40 hand launched and winch launched glider contests a year.

So, am I the only glider pilot in the group?

Ed Anderson

Reply to
Ed Anderson

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 04:48:00 -0700 (PDT), Ed Anderson wrote in :

It was more active in years past. I got involved in the fall of 1995.

I have one (1) Great Planes 2M Spirit. We tow it up with a trainer. I may have had it out six or eight times at most. We made some mistakes the first few times out, but have been doing better more recently.

Maybe the only competition pilot ...

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I have been flying gliders/sailplanes almost exclusively for over 15 years here in Texas. It is getting harder and harder to find enough pilots to hold a contest unless you are in or near one of the larger cities. SLNT is in Dallas. There is a club in San Antonio. We used to have a lot of contests when everyone was flying Woodies off of hi-starts. When several guys went to the glass ships and winches it basically killed off the contests. We may have a contest here in Amarillo next month if enough pilots RSVP. Last year we only had about

10 contestants. Ten years ago we would have 30 or 40 pilots show up for two contests a year here, two more near Plainview, Tx. and two or more contests a year in Haskell/Knox City, Tx. The Plainview club is no more and Haskell only has club events for those who will fly off of hi-starts.

Most people have moved off of here and went to RCUniverse or RCGroups.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

In message , Ed Anderson writes

Or could also try rec.models.rc.soaring which is a more glider type group but fairly quiet since the various forums started to be formed

Reply to
Max George

Thanks guys! Good to know there are other glider pilots in the gropu

I am active on the forums and other discussion groups but am always looking for other places to discuss RC Soaring wether it is winch, HS, hand launched or electric launched. And let's not forget slope soaring. I just love this silent flight stuff.

Some of my planes include a Supra, AVA, Graphite, Thermal Dancer, Legend, Radian, Easy Glider Electric, Dust Devil, Zagi slope glider, GWS AT6, Mountain Models Smooth-E, a Vapor and a bunch of others.

I fly using a pair of Futaba 9C Super radios, one on 72 and one on

2.4.

Our club web site is

The Eastern Soaring League, competition league is

.

Not really having problems finding contests around here.

Ed Anderson President, LISF, President, ESL Present on the flying field whenever possible.

Reply to
Ed Anderson

Oh, BTW, if any of you are near Long Island, NY, we have an ESL contest at our field next weekend, 9/25, 26. This is an unlimited sailplane TD contest flown off 4 winches in a man on man format. We have 27 pilots registered so far and will probably go over 30.

Actually you can fly anything you can launch off a winch. While there are plenty of high end planes we have pilots flying Easy Gliders, Spirits, and one fellow took the prop off his Radian and put a hook on it. Amazing!

If you are interested,

is where you can find info and register. Membership in the ESL is free.

Reply to
Ed Anderson

I used to fly casually, and I've got a used Goldberg "Gentle Lady" awaiting restoration. Our club field is down in a hole, so it'll get a motor, but that just means that the real fun doesn't start until the motor kicks off.

But I'm not a wild-eyed competitive glider guy -- I just like to launch something and fly on no power for as long as possible.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

In message , Ed Anderson writes

Bit far for me as I live in the UK.

One day perhaps!

Reply to
Max George

Ed Anderson wrote in news:5c9d3e18-8ef4-4edf-841d- snipped-for-privacy@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com:

My first plane is an Easyglider electric.

Since it was my learning bird, it's been beat to he!!. The wings are now chopped down to the ailerons, the nose has been replaced up to the rear of the canopy in some blue foam I carved, it sports a brushless motor driving a Radian folding prop, and it now has pogo landing gear like the U2 and coathanger wires for wing skids.

Today, after sporting around in my T-34, I took it up real high and managed to catch some thermals. It's not as efficient as it used to be, but I kept the power off for a while.

A real glider is on my list of future aircraft.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

I was at the club glider field on Sunday. I was testing a coupole of planes that I had repaired in prep for a 2 day regional contest that will be at our field this weekend.

After the "work" was done I was flying for run. Put my AVA up, caught some lift and stayed up for 61 minutes and 1 seconds or 1:01:01. Cool.

The AVA was so hight that people were afraid I was going to lose it. I had the spoilers fully deployed for about 1/3 of the flight so that it would not climb any higher. I estimate I was close to 2000 feet.

That was my longest flight this year. ;)

Ed

Reply to
Ed Anderson

WOW cool. mk