Need advice to protect sliding window from thieves.

We have these PVC sliding windows that have locks that press in until it clicks before you can slide them open. When you want shut the window, you just slide the window shut and the window will lock automatically.

The problem is that these are badly designed locks. I didn't know about this problem until my neighbor with the same window got broken in. They now use a lengthy wooden rod to lock the window. They said the bad guys used a credit card to open the lock. What is a practical way to protect these windows from thieves?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

What your neighbor did. It's the simplest, surest way and doesn't require window modifications. Paint the stick white and you'll never notice it.

RicodJour

no matter what you do your home is only as secure as its weakest link.

glass breaks easy:(

I think there are some security latches available

Reply to
hallerb

Hmmm, Alarm system with motion sensor? Still not 100% but good deterrant.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Are these horizontal sliders or vertical? If they slide horizontally, there is one more thing you can do. Slide the window all the way open and put a couple of screws in the top track, driving them far enough in that the window will clear the screw heads when you close the window. This way, when the window is closed and latched, it is very difficult to lift the window up out of the track - the only way you can lift it out of the track is to open it first.

Hope this helps, Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Set up a shotgun with a vibration sensor to go off when the thief breaks the glass. Thieves are not concerned about breaking glass, doesn't matter which way your door slides, or even if it slides at all.

Reply to
BUGSEY

Reply to
wayne c

a innocent kid bounces a ball against your window, and dies. you spend the remainder of your life in the slammer....

Reply to
hallerb

Hard to tell and doesn't matter if they frown I've spent the last 10 hours doing errands around the city I haven't seen a cop for a week Why not just leave your door unlocked That way you won't have to pay for the broken glass.

Reply to
BUGSEY

The shotgun could be set-up so that it only blows away someone say within 2 feet of the glass That way the kid bouncing balls off your house would be out of range and wouldn't get his balls blown off!

Reply to
BUGSEY

Until he comes to pick up the ball...

Reply to
unknown

unknown snipped-for-privacy@all.invalid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

BUGSEY made the killfile;his "advice" is worthless,illegal,and very dangerous.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

True.

Yes, but thieves usually don't want to break glass to gain entry. Try breaking a window and then climbing in, and you'll realize why.

The simplest solution for a sliding window is just to put a bar in the window (a cheap dowel will do) that keeps the window solidly closed.

It's also possible to get security films for glass that make it very resistant to breakage.

Reply to
Random Netizen

Theives will do their best to avoid breaking glass, because it's more work than just sliding a window open, and increases the chances of detection and injury.

Reply to
Random Netizen

All this does is make your home a very easy target. The easiest way to prevent a break- in is to make your home less attractive to a thief than other homes nearby. Most theives will pick the easiest target available.

Reply to
Random Netizen

A charley bar -- something like this:

although you can make your own.

Reply to
CJT

It's got nothing to do with the police. It's the judges and lawyers that decide this stuff. Setting up booby traps will land you with a murder charge should you kill a burgler, ridiculous as it sounds.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I have two styles of aluminum windows/sliding doors in my house. Vertical and horizontal. On the horizontal ones, I cut a piece of rebar long enough to allow me to keep the windows open yet prevent anyone from crawling through. I lay this down in the lower track of the window unit. When I want to open the window more, I have a magnet on one of the mounting screws and the rebar just attaches to that, vertically. The rebar is small enough and blends in with the color of the window so it works for me. The same could be done for vertical openings I suppose but I haven't done them yet.

I did like the idea of putting screws above the sliding door to prevent the door from being lifted out. I'm hoping to trash the damn thing anyway and put in patio doors but I'll have to remember that one. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Does that mean that when the burglar arrives at your humble adobe and sees that dowel you put there he'll turn around an go back home? Me thinks he'll break your glass. A gentleman thief would first duct tape your glass so the pieces won't fall to the ground and less noise. In fact a pry bar will suffice to lift the sliding door out of it's channel.

Reply to
BUGSEY

True, sliding glass doors are a golden invitation and take seconds to dislodge, even with a cleverly painted dowel stuck in the channel. Try putting something called a door with something called a frame.

Reply to
BUGSEY