Boosting security on tilt windows?

Please bear with me - it's a hard problem to describe, especially for someone who knows little about window design.

Am currently in the market for sliding window locks for my new home (rental duplex). Sure, there seem to be hundreds of different ones on the market, but I can't find EXACTLY what I need (and what will fit).

Specifics: I have several General Aluminum *high performance* tilt windows in the new place, and am looking for a screw-on window lock that will not only prevent up-down travel, but will also prevent the window from being popped open by a hard blow to the (inadequate to my eyes) plastic sliding locks in the upper corners.

The basic hex-key-at-a-30-degree-angle-design lock fits poorly, and the design of the GA's L-shaped channel prevents the lock from fully contacting the frame when tightening down the hex-screw, tightening down at an angle inconsistent with the design... OK up-down protection, but no *pop-open* security.

But ... if I could find similarly designed locks where the hex-screw contacts the window frame perpendicularly instead of at an angle, I could perhaps clamp in an angle bracket flush with the corner of the window and prevent pop-outs... but these types of locks don't seem to exist. The commonly available non-marring wingnut-screw design would work in theory, except that its' tiny jaws will won't fit over the GA's 1/4" lip let alone handle the extra bracket. A hex-key design would also have to have a wider jaw as well - they all seem to be 1/4".

Anybody know:

Where can I find (or cheaply engineer) the kind of lock I need?

or...

How do people make these types of windows secure, anyway.? The basic design seems totally geared toward the clean-freak housewife at the expense of any real security.

Thanks,

Uncle D.L.

Reply to
Uncle D.L.

Take a piece of angle iron about 10 inches in length and mount it to the both sash sides of the window, the flat of one side against the sash, the flat of the other side against the window. That will keep the window from being pushed in. Drill a hole in the window side of each angle iron then, with the window closed, drill through the holes into the frame of the window. Insert a cut-down nail into each of the lined-up holes. That will keep the window from being raised. Raise the window an inch or so and drill another set of nail holes. Now you can lock the window open a little for ventilation. Paint to match existing color, adjust length of angle iron to suit your needs.

Unk

Reply to
Unk

Looks great, but I would greatly prefer an alternate method that won't require the drilling of holes and the loss of my security deposit.

UDL

Reply to
Uncle D.L.

I can't think of anyway that you are going to achieve what you want w/o drilling holes. You are going to have to mount the hardware somehow. You may be going a little overboard with regard to the tilt locks especially. You are talking about glass windows right? How much protection against forceable entry is it realistic to expect?

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

method that won't

deposit.

you didn't specify, you ask "Where can I find (or cheaply engineer) the kind of lock" talk to your landlord. you shouldn't lose your security deposit if you leave the locks in place when you move.

my2

Reply to
"Key

You have to be careful. Alot of rental contracts mention drilling into, altering, etc as things that the tenant shall not do.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

message

security

drilling into,

agree.. however, it couldn't hurt for him to ask.

Reply to
"Key

Nope. That would be the way to go. Landlord might even consider it an improvement and be happy about it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

message

lock"

the

mention

consider it an

yep, my thoughts exactly. If it were my property ? believe I would...

Happy Holidays PYSH

Reply to
"Key

What are you planning to use to prevent the windowpane from being popped into little pieces by a hard blow?

Reply to
kd5nrh

Umm...

It sounds to me that the only real solution to this is to move somewhere you feel safe... I say this for a few reasons:

First: The windowpane is made of glass and that glass will shatter long before the sash unit would ever pop out of the frame if you strike it in the manner in which you describe...

Second: Anyone who would attempt entry into your house will smash the glass first -- its much easier to do this than to attempt to sneak in... Remember most people breaking into your house are not skilled at doing so and only want to get in fast and take the stuff they see laying around in plain sight...

Third: Placing any type of locking devices on your windows in the end you will only end up hurting yourself or your loved ones because those locks may make you feel safe but they make your home much harder to escape from in the event of an emergency... Keeping people out also happens to keep them in too...

I am sorry -- but short of putting specially designed (meaning the type that can be released in an emergency) cages over every window on your home your goal of keeping "the bad element" out of your home is not attainable... The kinds of windows that are installed in most homes are windows that are not made to be invincible by design...

If you are this worried about someone coming into your home through the windows then you really should consider moving to a location where you feel safer...

Reply to
Evan

I must say... when you put it all down like this, I feel much better about my current situation. Perspective (and logic) was kinda absent from my security concerns. I suppose I should diligently take all the standard precautions and worry only when absolutely necessary.

Besides, ain't no freakin' way I'm moving again for a LONG time....

Thanks to all, esp. Evan.

UDL

Reply to
Uncle D.L.

Happy holidays to you too.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I tend to agree.

If you're worried about someone standing outside your house pushing on the windows, you might want to consider making it harder for them to do so without being seen -- trim back hedges, make sure there's adequate outdoor lighting (motion detectors), that sort of thing.

Another solution for the windows themselves might be to alarm them rather than modifying them. Alarm systems are failure-prone and I don't like 'em much on principle, but sometimes knowing that someone's trying to get in is just as effective as keeping them out. Heck, I've known a few folks to just install an alarm system's decals on a few visible windows around the place and hope the burglar decides to go bother someone else instead.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam