'04 Jeep Wrangler question

I don't do auto locks at all so have very little knowledge about them. And I definitely don't want to mess around with a steering column with an airbag.

I just bought this used Jeep Rubicon and discovered that the ignition uses a transponder key. Not a huge problem, I got a couple of blanks from my distributor and made up (and programmed) a couple extra keys for myself.

But, if I were to decide to eliminate the transponder system (all other Jeep Wrangler's are standard, not transponder, unless specially ordered), how much trouble would it entail? And could I put it back on later?

And, another small question. My passenger door and tailgate locks lock when turning the key clockwise while the driver door locks when turning the key counter-clockwise. Why would these be different and is is possible to change the driver's door lock to the same as the others?

Ralph So Cal

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

The reason the driver's side turns opposite the passenger side is because the latch is an opposite.

It's like saying, "My door opens on the right side on my driver's side, but it opens on the left on the passenger side. Can I get it to open on the right side on the passenger side."

No.

You cannot change the direction this turns. Unless you seriously modify the latching mechanism, and anything done to the latching mechanism ends up being a liability issue if something "pops" open and a passenger is ejected during a collision.

I never repair latches. Just replacements. We live in a litigious world and I'm not going to be the one to get sued.

As for the transponder, what I've heard people do is cut off a working key head (or just put the key itself) under the shroud so the transponder is always within the sensor. This does not disable the transponder system, but keeps it active all the time.

If your > I don't do auto locks at all so have very little knowledge about them.

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

On the latch, I was hoping it might be something like a tailpiece installed incorrectly but I didn't want to pull the door panel to go exploring. Too many chances to screw something up.

And I suspect I'll just have to live with the transponder. No big deal for me but a dealer wants close to $100 to make a duplicate for joe citizen.

Thanks for the response. Ralph

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle