280Z Question

Can anyone here help tell me how to remove the ignition cylinder from the housing. I need to make a key for this one and can't find the release. Do I need the cylinder turned for removal?

Thanks for your help, David Ferguson

Reply to
David Ferguson

take the door lock out, FAR easier..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

cylinder from the

the release. Do

look for a little paper tag in the glove box that may have the code stamped on it. or like Shiva said, remove the passenger door lock..

if the ignition has a different key ? the plug is held in the ignition housing by one or maybe two roll pins that need to be removed and replaced. (been a while ?) one is located near the 8 o'clock position. if there are two ? the other will be straight across from it. drill a tiny hole about 1/8th" down beside the roll pin, then angle into the roll pin below the surface just a little. use something to stick in the hole and pry the roll pin out. this way you do not screw up the hole and the same roll pin should drive back into place when finished.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Some info would help...

Year?

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

believe there wasn't much, if any, changes made to the 240Z ignition.

Reply to
Key

This really sounds like the best advice...Thanks.

But, it makes two vehicles now that I have to do that way. The other is a '95 Jeep Wrangler.

David Fergus>

Reply to
David Ferguson

The best approach varies by vehicle. This is one of the the things that the auto locksmithing reference manuals are for: they give the author's suggestions on how to approach any given car. A good book is a good tool.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

the '95 Jeep Wrangler and the 240Z can also be impressioned.

Reply to
Key

IMPRESSION.. REAL easy to do.. (psst, its a double sided lock)... door, GLOVE if its got one, and then ign.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I've got the door lock out of the Jeep and read the code with a set of pre-cut depth & spacing keys. That was no problem.

Impressioning is a skill I have yet to master. I used to sit for hours trying to impression keys for anything that I could find. (i.e. old cylinder locks, padlocks, cabinet locks, etc.) I just never have been any good at it and my mentor wasn't much help in this area.

I may try the Z just for the sake of experience, but thanks for the advice.

Reply to
David Ferguson

Nissan MAY have the code by VIN for the Z. They used to have some of the old Datsun codes. If so take them proof of ownership and you will probably get a key for about $10.00-$15.00.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

JUNK YARD...

go get the door lock off of a Chrysler, 94 or later.. or a trunk..

if you can get a 96 Contour, get the TRUNK lock-thats the 5 pin..

this way you CAN SEE what the key is telling you as you try to impression it..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I noticed, too, that the door lock for the Jeep was open in the area of the wafers on one side. This allowed me to determine the code for the bitting by using depth and spacing keys. This would also allow me to see what was going on when I tried to impression the lock. Maybe next time I'm by the local salvage yard I'll pick up a few different locks and try them out. Sounds like a good way to practice.

Reply to
David Ferguson

ditto the Contour.. thats why I suggested it..

Cant do Chevy OR Ford IGNITION (Ford DOORS are doable, tho), for the most part, due to being side bar design.. but for kiss, and for starting out... these would be my recommended ones to play with..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--