Sticking together

Not often do I get satisfaction from seeing someone stranded, but last night was an exception. An American guy rang about 10.30pm last night, was locked out and was in a big hurry (as usual). I said I would be there in 10 minutes, he said 'fine'. When I pulled up in his drive, there were 2 other Locksmiths vans there. The VERY loud American was in a heated discussion with one of my competitors about his call out fee. This customer had called the three of us, and only wanted to pay the first guy on the scene, and the first Locky had already picked the lock, and had got his money off this 'very loud' customer. I let Locky No 2 read this joker the 'riot act', and Locky #2 finished by telling this clown that this type of slimy behaviour is just not accepted in this country. With that, this joker said )%*#(^$#) you Aussies, I'll do what I *&#(*&^%$, well like. Locksmith number one, who had already been paid for opening the door, locked & slammed the door shut, walked over to us, and divided the callout money 3 ways and said, "cheers Mates'. We left this jerk red faced and frothing at the mouth, tugging and pulling on his door knob, and yelling abuse at us.

Reply to
Steve Paris

This was probably not the best thing to do. Now he's stuck in your country (not that we want him back in the US either. ;)

"A Job Well Done" if there ever was.

Reply to
TF

Good for you! If you ever see him again, tell him the Americans called (me) and said we don't want any assholes back!

Reply to
Aegis

---snip---

like the way yall handled it. when the same happens over here, its a civil matter for the courts to settle.

g'day

Reply to
Key

: "'Key" snipped-for-privacy@Ya.net

The same thing has been done here in the US far more than once. People have mentioned doing it on this forum.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Funny enough, the first locky on the scene only lived around the corner from the customer, and is by far the dearest in town. He charged the guy $90 S/C. I would have only charged $65. Taking a customer to the small claims court costs $85 just for the application form, and even if you win the case, and you get reimbursed the S/C + court costs, it isn't worth the time and effort to collect such a piddling amount.

Reply to
Steve Paris

Standard advice seems to be "Get the credit card number over the phone first, after informing them that they will be billed for your trip charge even if they solve the problem some other way."

If someone won't authorize the trip charge, they may not be a customer you want.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

It's the best you can usually do but from experience I can tell you it won't hold up to dispute if it's verbal only unless they have a garbage credit card issuer or you have it on tape and they don't deny it's them. In the end occasional losses are just a cost of doing business.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Steve,

I think this was handled OK, but next time you might want to hold out for everyone to at least to get their normal trip charge, plus waiting time.

You also might want to look at the penal statutes for something on the order of defrauding an innkeeper and keep a copy of that statute.

Also if you find yourself in a position where you need to toss the keys into the car and lock it up, give the ignition key about a 60 degree bend. This is similar to the old trials they gave to witches, toss them in the water if they float they are a witch, and if they sink they are acquitted...

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yeah, but going through the motions scares off some of the casual abusers. As with a cheaper lock: It won't stop the most malicious, but if it stops the amateurs and encourages the pros to look for another victim it's still doing the job it was designed for.

True enough, and you do have to trade off whether you'll scare off legitimate customers... though I suspect that's mostly a matter of phrasing it properly. And you have to decide what you're going to do about the customer who isn't carrying a card or locked it in the car... or claims so.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

once. People have

agree, have done it myself. however, its still a civil matter.

Reply to
Key

around the corner

charged the guy $90

the small claims

you win the case,

worth the time and

non-genetically modified

message

heard that !!! its defiantly NOT worth the time & money.

g'day Steve

Reply to
Key

over the phone

your trip

be a customer

bIrIQbej" --

nobody gets hurt."

agree thats the best thing to try but it doesn't stop the customer from disputing the charge with their credit card company.

Reply to
Key