Mind reader game

Fantabidozie girl! I'm in - so, when do we begin?

Reply to
Gloria Vixentart

for ten thousand bonus points.....

Background. Two locks, both Sargent panic bar, rim cylinder, six pin LA keyway. The lock has been recently remastered (by me) and is operating on ESP brand S-22 blanks. Cut by Framon machine. A couple of the masters are cut by Curtis 2000 duplicating machine from a Sargent original key.

Customers says "the keys don't go in and out very well, and one of the locks is coming loose, they think it's cause of the keys not working well".

For ten thousnad bonus points, answer two questions:

1) Was it one lock or two which had a problem 2) What was the actual problem or problems?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you install the re-keyed rim cylinders or did the customer install them ???

Nah... Probably the cylinders were not tightened properly when they were installed...

Reply to
Evan

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

I installed the cylinders after they were rekeyed. They were plenty snug. Actually, you're zero for two.

You do have a "free turn" card if you wish to play it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, that idd go through my mind. The Sargent uses something like a 63 degree angle cutter, and the blade on my Curtis is probably a 90 degree angle cutter. I was having mental visions of collecting all the keys, and hand filing the slopes to soften them down.

However, that turned out not to be the case. Would you like to use your free turn card?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not a great match for the symptoms, but as a wild guess: you didn't sufficiently tighten a Schlage-style plug retainer?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

People are pulling the door open using the key, causing the door to "oil-can". As the door oil-cans or compresses, the cyl screws loosen up a little bit more each time.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Ah, you are a wise one. These were Sargent original cylinders, wtih the clip that holds the plug in.

Believe me, I've mistightened the Schlage type retainers in the past. And they've been miserable and cantankerous. Excellent idea.

I'll post the answers tomorrow night.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, I've seen that kind of thing. The one apartment complex I got to work on back when..... all the apartments had a hall, and an exterior door. I'm sure more folks pulled on the key than on the knob.

These have a BIG grip handle and thumb latch. The key only locks and unlocks the latch. So, you have to pull the grip handle and squeeze the latch. I think one on the other side of the building had a dogging key on a chain, but this one the folks were supposed to be pulling the grip handle. (Memory check, that's classroom function? Key locks and unlocks the handle?)

Looks like the professional locksmiths on this group are just as "mind reader" as I am, which isn't much. Took me a while to figure out what's going on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Two. Retainer screw not set or trying to use old key.

Reply to
Steve, but not the Australian Steve

How about you send me the hardware and keys and I'll check it out. :-)

Storm> You know, that idd go through my mind. The Sargent uses something like a 63

Reply to
SunshineTeam.net

Best offer all week.

Oddly enough, it's all fixed. And I couldn't mind read the customer, either. I had to get my grubby graphite covered paws on the silly thing to figure it out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

'Burger-ina-box'

Extra salt on the burgers.

What happens when you drop the burger on the floor.

You wear dime-store "X-Ray" specs.

Spatter the sauce everywhere.

How long does it take for the burger to hit the floor.

Free burgers for lunch.

Oh Boy, I'm glad I didn't get a job at McDonald, it sounds *so* complicated.

Reply to
KewlKiwi

Background. Two locks, both Sargent panic bar, rim cylinder, six pin LA keyway. The lock has been recently remastered (by me) and is operating on ESP brand S-22 blanks. Cut by Framon machine. A couple of the masters are cut by Curtis 2000 duplicating machine from a Sargent original key.

Customers says "the keys don't go in and out very well, and one of the locks is coming loose, they think it's cause of the keys not working well".

For ten thousnad bonus points, answer two questions:

1) Was it one lock or two which had a problem ANS: Two.

2) What was the actual problem or problems? ANS: The lock with the "key that wouldn't go in or out" turned out that lock didn't lock or unlock. The thumb lever wasn't coming back all the way up. I took the lock apart, and give it some lubrication, and instruct the people there that if it doesn't lock, pull up on the thumb lever. ANS: The second lock, the one coming loose. Aparently, that's the employee door. When the employees would arrive in the morning and find the door locked, they would beat on the door. Loud enough to be heard over the machine shop that was running.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK; wouldn't have guessed either from the description. Can't vouch for how well I would have done on site.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

WOW!!! This is truly some super high tech stuff. I'm glad I stayed in college and became a biologist because I doubt I could handle the custodial arts,,,,er,,,,sorry...I meant locksmithing....

I'll bet you've stumped more than a few custodians, oops silly me, locksmiths.

Wow!

This locksmithing stuff is just so complicated.

So many keys. So little time. How the hell do ya'll do it?

Locksmithing reminds me of cow tipping. There is an art to that as well.

You have to remember to stand on the correct side when you tip the beast.

Very complex. Much like the custodial arts,,,,there I go again...silly me....locksmithing.

Reply to
cyanoacrylate c5h5nO2

and a Biology degree must mean you're a fucking GENIUS!!!!

What are you doing with that degree? Data entry?

Probably.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Well, right now I am involved in research around static structure studies using X-ray crystallography and dynamic structure studies with neutrons along with X-ray diffraction and neutron scattering techniques, with an emphasis on wide-angle, as well as small-angle time-of-flight spectroscopy and computer model calculations.I am also involved with complementary sample characterization techniques.

I hope this answers your questions.

Oh, BTW, you might find this site useful:

cyanoacrylate c5h5nO2

Who cross posted?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon