2004 Gran Prix Key Mess

My Father just bought a 2004 Gran Prix From a dealership here. They screwed something up and delayed the car from being available for a couple of days. The manager trying to make it right asked if he could do anything to make it right. My father never being shy and knowing the price of new transponder keys asked for a third ignition key. This is where it gets good. The dealer tells him the 2004's changed the type's of keys and that the dealership doesn't have the machine to cut the key and haven't decided if they want to go the ten grand for the machine. I'm not talking a little used car lot here, I'm talkin a major new car dealer and they can't cut their own keys. They ask my Dad to go down to this guys key shop and he will help him out and the dealership will pay him. Turns out the guy doesn't carry the keyblank and he said he's not sure if can cut it anyway , says the new Gran Prixs have to be cut on a laser cutter. I don't have any info on the 2004's, can anybody help me out here? I'm just curious now. Why on earth would a Pontiac go high security, and why wouldn't a dealership have the proper equipment to handle their own vehicles? The guy in the key shop said the machine that cuts those keys goes for way more than ten grand.

Reply to
Jimmy F.

why the dealer does not have the tools to do the job is anyones guess!! The key is a new blank but nothing to hard to do it is not a laser cut key and can be manualy programed B106 is the test key a1 security gmx-637 is the working transponder key

MRR AA ROYAL LOCKSMITH

Reply to
LOCKMAN80

There is no special cutting machine needed for that key. Your dealer is shining your father on.

Reply to
Nobody You Fucking Know

ok, my LOCAL GM dealer (CHEVY) has a Win(something??) machine that they cut keys on.. they got it through 'their channels' and the last time I looked, they CANNOT copy that key on that machine.. its gonna take some changes to do so, too... its a semi propriority set machine. meaning it does a 'few' types ONLY..

Looking at the machine, I do not think its capable of copying an

8 cut ford for example.. just for info.. the new key is a Toyota??? keyway (or the REVERSE of a Toyota blank.. ) and they have the same problem in the new 04 malibu-they cannot copy it EITHER

BUT, the DEALER SHOULD have the blanks, and let the lock shop COPY it for them, then they can program it into the car, and if tehy say OTHERWISE... WUUPS..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

See.... THIS is why I'm getting out of automotive locksmithing!

If I had bought a sidewinder machine back in the mid 80s when a few of the high-dollar imports started using them (price at the time as $3500), I STILL wouldn't have used it enough to have paid for itself.

I don't know what kind of sidewinder (laser) keys it takes but ten grand sounds a little steep.(Ten grand "retail" maybe")

Look at transponders. The programmer (that does several different makes - but not all) costs close to four grand (dealer). Then figure in software updates at about $800 a pop.

Now... domestic cars with sidewinder keys???? It's a never ending cycle! Forget it. I'm done investing in equipment that take years (if ever) to pay for - then becomes cost-effective.

I'll stick to safes. True, the equipment is pricey, but for the most part, it never becomes obsolete. AND it pays for itself much faster.

I have a safe opening tool called a "Mini Rig" that costs $700. Every time it comes out of the box it's a minimum of $350 opening. Paid for itself the second time I used it. THAT is a good investment! One of my borescopes cost me $700 (and that's _cheap_, as scopes go). again, used it two or three times and it was paid for.

But I digress....

Yes it is common for dealerships to take a year or two to "catch up" with their own industry. Go figure.

My advice is to call around to some of the bigger locksmith shops in your area and see if any of them have the equipment to cut your key. And BTW - It ain't gonna be cheap.

Godspeed!

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

this isnt a sidewinder key.. its for all intents and purposes a Toyota.. that type/shape of grooves etc..

and AGREE I got a 'sidewinder back in 96', cut 2 keys SO FAR on it.. wasted my money..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

If the friendly GM dealer doesn't have the equipment to cut an extra key for the car, have them order one in from General Motors.

Soundfs to me like the dear car dealer is trying to skimp on shop equipment. A nice letter to the Zone Office of General Motors might also work wonder in getting the poor old car dealer an updated key cutting machine.

Brian

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

was asking about that.. and the parts dept has NOT gotten word on HOW to cut/copy that key YET..the people they bought their machine from has not said yet either. they are sorta curious as well. but, I took them information about the key before they even knew it had been changed too.. they were surprised.. their cost is pretty steep on the keys, too. this, being the Chevy Dealer to me.

and again, AFAIK, they cannot order a 'cut' key from GM.. so, its back to 'circular' run arounds.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--