Some days you can't win

Saturday, July 3rd, I had just closed up shop for the weekend and was
heading home when the phone rang. Seems this customer was locked out of his
office about 1/2 mile down the road and needed in to get a contract he had
to finish by Monday or loose the deal. He agreed to pay me what I wanted to
open just one door so I ran down there.
It was a 10 story office building and he had a suite on the 3rd floor in
what they call executive suites, actually it's a suite that leases out
single rooms to very small companies. He showed me his drivers license and a
business card with his name and the address of the building as well as the
suite number. Next he pulled a card from his wallet and swiped the reader to
gain access to the lobby and showed me on the directory his company and
suite number. I followed him, his wife, and his dog into the elevator and
went up. He swiped his card on another door to get into the suite and walked
about 10 feet to his office door and said that was the one he needed in. He
even told me where several items were inside the office to verify it was
his.
The lock was a normal Corbin 6 pin mortise lock, loaded with mushrooms, of
course. Ended up picking it the wrong way and used a rubber band to reverse
and open. Everything inside was EXACTLY as he has said. I got paid by credit
card and went on my way, thinking I had covered all the bases of checking ID
and proof he was authentic.
Monday, July 12th, I got a registered letter from the building manager.
Seems I "breeched the security" of his building and he wanted my gonads for
his rear view mirror. I reviewed the letter with the owner of the shop and
he agreed I was more then ample in checking the customer out before opening
a thing. So he calls the building manager to find out what his problem was
and to explain that the customer had more ID then most people and saw
nothing wrong with what I did. He also told him that I've been in the
business some 30 years and I'm the most "anal" person he's ever known about
ID verification.
Seems the customer had been evicted the 2nd. Both the suite and building
managers had failed to remove his access card from their systems and failed
to post notice on the office door. So who really "breached" the security of
the building?
Some days even doing it the right way isn't good enough.
Mr..bill
Reply to
mr.bill
Yep.
When it's a rental property, sometimes you need to ask "And why didn't you ask your landlord to let you in?"
Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam
I disagree with this contention. Mr. Bill acted reasonably. He got a letter in effect notifying him that his customer had been evicted and please not give him entrance to the building anymore as he had been evicted. The story said nothing about a law suit or any kind of charges, it seemed to me that it was only to let him know that he shouldn't let the guy in again.
If Mr. bill was to let the same guy in again then there might be some consequences, but other than that the story is over.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
That was one of my first questions. He said he called everyone he could and they where all out of town for the 4th. Very believable being it was a holiday weekend.
mr.bill
Reply to
mr.bill
Ottawa Canada
Sounds to me like the landlord didn't do due diligence, evicting the guy but not deleting his access card from the building access system.
Brian
Reply to
Brian K.Lingard