A forward from Billy Edwards (and a personal note)

Anthony J. Hoffman, III passed away suddenly due to heart failure on Sunday,
July 11, 2004 at a favorite beach near his home in Mission Viejo,
California. AJ was a world renowned expert on antique locks and the history
of interchangeable core cylinders and key systems. Fluent in six languages,
AJ was also an accomplished linguist and musician, singing tenor and
providing pronunciation guidance for Pacific Chorale, one of America's most
respected and accomplished professional choruses. He is survived by his wife
Vivian.
Funeral services will be held at 1:00 PM, Sunday, July 18th, 2004 at:
O'Connor Mortuary
25301 Alicia Pkwy
Laguna Hills, CA
Tel: 949-581-4300
A map and driving directions are attached. A reception will follow.
There will also be a memorial service at the Associated Locksmiths of
America (ALOA) Convention the following week.
The funeral and memorial will be a causal gathering to create a mosaic of
memories of AJ's life. If you have a memory that you would like to be part
of the ceremony and cannot attend, feel free to send it via email to
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com or use the guest register at

In lieu of flowers, Vivian would like to establish a scholarship fund to
pass on AJ's passion for locks and his love of learning to the next
generation. Details about this will be available shortly.
Please feel free to forward this to anyone who knew AJ.
On a personal note...
If I were able to pick how I would leave this world, I couldn't think of a
better way to do it.
Apparently AJ went to the beach. After a long time of him not moving, a
lifeguard went to investegate. Aj was gone.
Lay down on the beach, close your eyes and wake up face to face with the
Lord. If anybody can (seriously) think of a better way to go, I'd like to
hear it.
If you're like me and have been in this industry for a good while you pretty
much divide your collegues into four basic catagories; those who are
beginers and show lots of promise, those who are "below" you professionally
and/or ethicly, those who you consider your equals, and those who are you
are in awe of. A.J. Hoffman was one of those who was so far above the croud
that it was a honor to know him (and be known _by_ him).
I met AJ when I was seated at the same table as him the first time I went to
the Phili banquet (when he won the Philadephia Award). Since then I've taken
a couple of his classes and just hung-out with him at different industry
functions.
He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He almost alwas had a
smile on his face. AJ was someone I always looked up to (insert "tall" joke
here). The man knew his stuff! I'll miss him.
See ya in the sky, AJ!
Bobby
Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML