A forward from Billy Edwards (and a personal note)

Anthony J. Hoffman, III passed away suddenly due to heart failure on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at a favorite beach near his home in Mission Viejo, California. AJ was a world renowned expert on antique locks and the history of interchangeable core cylinders and key systems. Fluent in six languages, AJ was also an accomplished linguist and musician, singing tenor and providing pronunciation guidance for Pacific Chorale, one of America's most respected and accomplished professional choruses. He is survived by his wife Vivian. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 PM, Sunday, July 18th, 2004 at:

O'Connor Mortuary

25301 Alicia Pkwy Laguna Hills, CA Tel: 949-581-4300

A map and driving directions are attached. A reception will follow.

There will also be a memorial service at the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA) Convention the following week.

The funeral and memorial will be a causal gathering to create a mosaic of memories of AJ's life. If you have a memory that you would like to be part of the ceremony and cannot attend, feel free to send it via email to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com or use the guest register at

In lieu of flowers, Vivian would like to establish a scholarship fund to pass on AJ's passion for locks and his love of learning to the next generation. Details about this will be available shortly.

Please feel free to forward this to anyone who knew AJ.

On a personal note...

If I were able to pick how I would leave this world, I couldn't think of a better way to do it.

Apparently AJ went to the beach. After a long time of him not moving, a lifeguard went to investegate. Aj was gone.

Lay down on the beach, close your eyes and wake up face to face with the Lord. If anybody can (seriously) think of a better way to go, I'd like to hear it.

If you're like me and have been in this industry for a good while you pretty much divide your collegues into four basic catagories; those who are beginers and show lots of promise, those who are "below" you professionally and/or ethicly, those who you consider your equals, and those who are you are in awe of. A.J. Hoffman was one of those who was so far above the croud that it was a honor to know him (and be known _by_ him).

I met AJ when I was seated at the same table as him the first time I went to the Phili banquet (when he won the Philadephia Award). Since then I've taken a couple of his classes and just hung-out with him at different industry functions.

He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He almost alwas had a smile on his face. AJ was someone I always looked up to (insert "tall" joke here). The man knew his stuff! I'll miss him.

See ya in the sky, AJ!

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML