Will H-74-PHT work in 2000 Ford Focus?

I bought a key on ebay specifically advertised as fitting a 2000 Ford Focus:

It is "You are bidding on 1 Ford H-86 PATS Key."

Will this key work in my 2000 Focus, or not?

TIA

Reply to
Mark Olson

the H-74-PHT is NOT for a 2000 Focus. if its an H-86-PT ? it WILL work on your 2000 Focus. however, you will need to have it cut then programmed to your car with a special programmer . unless you already have two working keys.

Reply to
Key

I am aware of the programming method- I previously purchased a third key at a Ford dealership and I programmed it myself. It is an Ilco H-86.

But- I called the seller of the H-74-PHT key I bought on ebay, and I was assured that this key _will_ work in my 2000 Focus.

I also did some searching on ebay and turned up a couple of references to the H-74 key blank as being suitable for:

2000 2001 2002 2003 Ford Escape

2000 2001 2002 2003 Ford Focus

2002 Lincoln LS

2001 2002 2003 Mazda Tribute

e.g.:

If you have some reference that definitively says the H-74 will not work, please, by all means share it!

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Mark, my bad ! one of my references says NO but the NGS instruction manual says YES. the H74PT WILL work as a substitute for the H86PT on the

2000 / 2003 Fucus.

g'day

Reply to
Key

Great! That gives me enough confidence to go ahead and have it cut.

BTW, I hope it will also work on the <cough> Focus...

Reply to
Mark Olson

diff between the Focus and NON focus is the length of the BODY.. its not grovved as far back for the NON focus, as what the Focus requires. then there is the 2 different transponder situations. early vs late..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

FWIW: The Hata H-74-PHT key does indeed work perfectly in my 2000 Focus wagon. The main physical difference between the H-74 and my three H-86 keys, is that the H-74 has a slightly longer blade (sorry I am not conversant with key terminology) than the H-86, but the milled portion of the blade is exactly the same length. The shape of the key head is very slightly different, but the difference would be impossible to discern without seeing both keys side by side.

So, the only difference as far as I can see is that the head of the key is about 5/32" (4mm) farther away from the lock cylinder and transponder ring, which is not enough to matter. I was able to program it and it starts and runs the car and opens the door locks, etc.

Thanks to 'Key and --Shiva-- for your input, it is appreciated.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Thats why the Focus blank is different.. that 'little length'

the door part of the key CAN be copied on a purely regular blank (no transponder) and does fine. hint hint, for keeping an EXTRA of this type in the HOUSE, for when the ketys DO get locked in.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

your welcome g'day

Reply to
Key

h-74 and h86 have the same transponder chip the differance is the blade milling h-74 is milled just shorter than the h-86

mark

AA Royal

Reply to
LOCKMAN80

Actually, if the examples I have in hand are representative, the length of the milling is exactly the same, but the H-74 has about a 4mm longer blade.

Reply to
Mark Olson