Will this work?

Will it increase friction if bolts are tighten too much? Does it make sense to use a spring under a through bolt?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

Yes, increasing through bolt tension will increase friction. Yes, it makes sense to use a spring under a through bolt with a locknut - this will allow a little compliance with temperature related changes and asperities.

Brian w

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

I need help in determining whether flange mounted ball bearings will hold up in a tubing roller because the difference in time/money to use roller bearings is practically not worth it to me. what do you think? or.. are replaceable bronze bearings better than ball bearings in this situation? even combining bronze bearings and ball bearings is easier. Thank you for the council.

- Loren

Reply to
Loren

Reply to
JR North

Wow that's open ended. There's way to many variables for us to tell you anything. You need the load, rpm, bearing size, bearing type, etc. before that question can be answered.

Short answer is yes/no. Yes if they're big enough and no if they're not.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Ok, no problem. tension is applied from a hand screw but I don't know what that equates to as far as load. It's running a 1 hp motor reduced to about 10 to 20 rpm probably. Bearings are 1.5" bore flanged bearings. they have a 7200lb dynamic load capacity and there will be two per shaft. WHat do you think?

- Loren

Reply to
Loren

Little more info is needed. At the very least what size tubing are you bending, what's the distance between the two rollers the one is pushing against, and is the third roller exactly between them.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook
1" to 2" tubing. about 12inches or so between centers. third is exactly between them and all have about 6" dia dies so the middle one doesn't travel very far into the two stationary driven ones.
Reply to
Loren