Welding Thin Material!!!!!

Does anyone have any clues about welding thin walled square hollow section without burning bloody big holes everywhere.?

Hoddo

Reply to
Paul Hodgson

It would help if you gave more details. What kind of metal is it? What is the thickness? What method and/or current settings are you using now?

Lane

Reply to
Lane

What kind of welding machine are you using? (stick, MIG, TIG)

Please give us some clues to help us solve this mystery.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

yeah.....here is a few clue , use less heat, control the "pudle" , move faster.

ohhh ye...keep the weld joint clean.

Reply to
acrobat-ants

What process? What equipment?

Gas, TIG, MIG, and Stick can all do this very easily.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have had a limited amount of experience welding very thin steel tubing using an AC arc welder. We had some discussion about this on this NG a few months ago. I don't recall the subject heading, but you could find it by searching for my name (wakefield) using google.

The short version is that I found I had better results using 6011 than other rods. Even though this is a far more aggressive rod, the ability to "freeze" the puddle made it easier to control; also the ability to hold a long arc helped spread out the heat -- but I had to work fast, and there was some grinding to do to clean up. I also found it necessary, in some cases, to use an additional "filler" rod -- either some mild steel rod, or you could scrape the flux off some 1/8" electrode. Concentrate the arc on the "filler" rod, and let it melt into the thin steel around it -- but be ready to back off immediately when it starts to slump.

Clearly a far better method in this situation would be to use TIG -- but I didn't have that available.

I don't know if this is helpful -- as others have said, more details about the material, application, and process you are working with will help us target a more helpful response!

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield