Will Work for Foo^H^H^HMetalworking Machines

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:02:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

>>(Hey, G-man, time to update your firearms links. I just tried two and >>both were dead.) > >Time to redo the entire site actually.

Get a decent little mini-lathe and mini-mill (or X3) to me and I'll do it up right proper for ya, partner.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh yah..you are space challenged..I keep forgetting. You will hardly recognize the place now. Ill be posting pictures after the 4 day mad minute after Turkey Day.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:32:55 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

I need to set up tool boxes in my truck so I can keep them handy for my new business, which is taking off quite nicely. Loading and unloading several hundred pounds of tools for each job is getting tedious. Are the hardtop tonneau covers safe? With several long drawers in the back I could have access to a ton of tools that way. Building a frame which sits outside the wheel wells, I'd still have plywood storage underneath. They cost over a grand at the stores, so it's something I could probably build for a couple hundred.

Yeah, I hardly recognized the place in the last pics you posted.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hit the local wrecking yards. Look in the truck section for service bodies and tradesmens vehicles. You can buy all the bins and boxes and slide in drawers you want, for probably less money than it takes to build em. Hell..you can do as Im doing..making a trailer out of a service body which solves several problems at one time.

Tonneu covers are a pain in the ass. It never fails that you will put something in the back, that is taller than the cover. If you want cover, look around for one of the ALUMINUM shells with ladder racks, that come off phone company trucks. Most are side loading, few windows, are secure. Very light weight so wont overload your Ranger, Most have internal bins, racking and so forth. Ive bought them for a couple hundred bucks.

The Steel shells are common, but weigh about 400 lbs.

Some of my buds have been giving me hell about giving the scrappers all the steel pulleys and whatnot. About 5 tons worth. But the scrappers have already paid me back in fence posts, I beams and so forth

Now if I could only find someone who would pay me something for all those 3ph electric motors and the 100 or so air cylinders..Id have a good step in the right direction

you coming back this way anytime soon? Ive got a couple Buffalo Forge drill presses you can have your choice off. I was gonna sell em..shrug..but Id be happy to find em a good home.

Need a good stick welder? Make you a special deal on one.

Gunner

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:58:48 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

I picked up half a utility body from a local guy. I never went back for the other half after losing his phone number. Maybe I should see if there's a flatbed I could build into a nice handyman's platform. I could weld the crane to one side and...

Yeah, good idea with the wrecking yards. I'll have a looksee the next time I get to town.

I drive a real truck, Gunner. Not a mini-Ranger, a real F-150. ;) I like the idea of the phone company inserts, though.

Cool! (I don't recall seeing too many pulleys, etc. when I was there.)

Right, and how about all those little 2hp treadmill motors?

No, I'm not, but if you have anyone passing by me on I-5, I'd love it.

I still haven't found (haven't really looked for) the snap ring for that idler bearing on the drill press I brought home. Remember saying that you didn't have the right size drill for the table crank? It fell off after I used it once since the shaft is a bit tapered. I may drill and pin it, maybe with some nice bondo to take up the slack.

Nah, I have the two HFs, a stick and the little TIG. Oh, you said "good", didn't you? My mistake. ;)

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Somewhat related, I want to make a stake bed extension for a pickup. Extended higher, not longer, that is. You can sometimes see Mexicans driving in trucks with their sides extended upwards by plywood, that's exactly what I want. I want to make the walls of the bed higher by 2 feet. That's straightforward, but there may be better or worse ways to go about it. Is there hardware for inserting into stake pockets, or for connecting adjacent walls etc, that's available?

I visited JC Whitney and did not find much.

Ignoramus25600

I thought a standard 2X4 fit.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Actually I think it's 2x3. Either that or it's slightly oddball, I've made them before by cutting down 2x4's.

As for the corner connectors, try

scroll down. If nothing else, that'll give you some better search term to play with.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:47:43 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus25600 quickly quoth:

Hehehe. You're building a Russki/Mexi-mobile?

Stake beds are either pockets or add-on brackets, Ig. If the stakebed top have stakes, additional height could be had by using box tubing on the bottom of additional stakebed sections. If they have rails all the way up (normal), you'd have to fabricate something.

How much weight do you expect to put against them? What size truck?

We need details!

If it's for lightweight items like home insulation, simple sheetmetal plates lagged to stakes on each section would hold them well enough.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes...

I was thinking to make something like this. The extra sides would be made of vertical wooden stakes 2x4 (cut down to 2x3 on the bottom to fit stake pockets), two 2x2's running lengthwise, and 3/8" exterior plywood. Would be great to find 1/4" exterior grade plywood and have it on both sides, it would do wonders for strength.

My main question is whether there is a nice (read removable and secure) way of sticking the stakes into the bed, and also if there are corner connectors like on stake bed trucks that would connect these panels at corners.

It would not be for heavy stuff (like rocks), more like for things such as light equipment and stuff like that.

Ignoramus25600

Yes.

Yes, that's a start, I am surprised that this stuff is not sold more widely. Maybe I should learn some spanish terms.

A side note... Just today I saw a fence, made of steel pipes driven into the ground, and steel wires tied to said pipes (no insulation). The fence carried prominent warnings in English and Spanish, saying that it is electrified to 7,000 volts. :)

To add insult to injury, that "electrified" fence is located right next to a chain link fence. (guess what a technically adept intruder should do to neutralize the "7,000 volts")

Ignoramus25600

rOn Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:38:46 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus25600 quickly quoth:

I doubt that 1/4" CDX ply exists, but you could always use an undercoating spray on interior ply for weatherproofing and a superior look.

As a metalworker, you could easily make most of this stuff, wot?

search string:

596,000 hits

The interlocking plates might be the easiest way to go. They're stamped, though, so you'd have to buy them for the best fit.

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As I understand it, all domestically made plywood is exterior grade today. It was just different glues for interior and exterior; now they use the same exterior-grade glue for all of it. This is not necessarily true of imported plywood.

But CDX never was the only exterior grade. There always was exterior-grade plywood in 1/4". I built a couple of small boats out of it long ago. I'm not talking about marine-grade, which is the same thing as exterior-grade but with the interior voids filled, and a much higher price tag.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 01:07:03 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Do you believe their marketing gurus? Leave a sheet of US plywood (other than flooring) out in the rain for a week and then tell me if you believe them, Ed.

Recalling a bit of cursing, I'm certain that Dad bought the marine ply for our 60s Cabot. It was a 1-sheet sailboat from the Popular Science magazine.