Solvents

This was an interesting post. It was an amusing post but Uncle Al is an interesting guy, as well as an amusing one.

Now I wonder if I can make the solvent at home. It sounds to me like it would be an amazing product. I know the urea is cheap, but the other stuff must be real pricey given the asking price of the finished solvent.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Funny bout Uncle Al and urea.

I once asked Uncle about how to do an acid-base titration of urea, where would I expect pKs, alladat shit. Basic shit, really, might find it on an evil Quant Analysis midterm. But it'd been years, so I axed. He got it wrong. One or two guys from sci.chem got it dead on, and it turns out I was spinning my wheels, as it's very difficult to titrate stuff like urea. I was looking for a, uh, piss-easy way to determine nitrogen balance/protein status via, well, piss. I also forgot that true nitrogen balance requires analyzing stool, as well. :( So ahm wunnerin how well spent $18 would be for Uncle's, uh, wisdom.... ettes.

Another interesting tidbit. Baldor recommends what sounded to me like a *urea-based* motor lubricant. Forgot the name of this lube, but it had the word urea in it. Baldor specifically stated that this was far superior to lithium based greases, but did not comment on molybdenum greases. All I can find are Lubrimatic lithium greases, anyway. Mebbe I should mix it w/ a little pee?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®