Microwave Heating of Metals

Here's something I just read about:

So I'm wondering if this microwave heating of metals can be used for
making of glassy metals. Glassy metals are based on rapid cooling of
molten metal, causing the glassy molecular structure. From what I've
read so far, this has entailed formulating metal alloys with very low
melt points. But why can't a glassy metal be made with a very high
melt-point, by microwaving an alloy formulation to be molten at very
high temp, and quickly chilling it below a melt-point that would
itself also be quite high?
This microwave heating of metals sounds like an efficient and
controllable way to get metals to very high temperatures very quickly.
It also seems like you could cut off that microwave heating very
quickly, to facilitate the quick-chilling necessary for glassy metal
formation.
Comments?
Reply to
sanman
Google "amorphous alloys" cooling 1780 hits
You think slowly and type quickly.
-- Uncle Al
Uncle Al
Hi Al,
I'm afraid that after reading some Google hits, I was unable to come up with answers. I guess it wasn't so obvious to me. Are you saying that microwave heating is already being used for amorphous alloys formation? Are you saying that there is something intrinsic to amorphous alloy formation that is incompatible with microwave heating? Or are you saying that amorphous alloy formation would not usefully benefit from microwave heating?
I don't get it. Please let me know, thanks. :)
Reply to
sanman
1) There is no reason to desire it in your version. 2) Microwaves don't penetrate metal (skind depth). 3) We already have several variants of induction heating. If cleverly executed, the crucible's contents stir themselves. 4) Your cooling argument is specious.
-- Uncle Al
Uncle Al
quickly.
Read carefully, not the metal is heated directly, they create a microwave plasma around the part to heat it. Such a system has no benefits for rapid cooling, compaerd to an induction heater for example. It is just a very uniform heat source without the insulation needs of a conventiunal furnace.
if you want an amorphous alloy that works without crazy cooling rates, read here :
You will not be able to make it at home. Don't try to heat the stuff outside of a vacuum or inert gas furnace or you will get a nice highly toxic firework.
Reply to
Andreas Rutz
What I suspect that Al is suggesting is that even if you were stuck with a slow and hard to cut off heating technology, such as a furnace, you could just remove your melt from the furnace and transfer it to your quick-chilling device. Quick cooling simply doesn't require quick cut-off of heating.
Reply to
Perplexed in Peoria
Microwaves are generally reflected off of metals. I have found google links for microwave sintering of powdered metals. I don't truely understand how microwaves sinter powedered metals. I suspect that it would be a very dangerous thing to attempt without an inert atmosphere.
Now for non-metals, microwaves can facilitate ultra rapid volumetric heating. These guys have some interesting (if not sparse) info about using a gyrotron source for ceramic sintering
If you want rapid heating of metals you need an inductance heater. Check this out
Inductance heaters can utilize a range of operating frequencys. Lower frequencys seem to heat from the inside out, higher frequencys seem to heat the outer surface.
Maybe you could couple a non-conductive coolant to the metal part as it is heated by a low frequency inductance heater.. Just a thought
Reply to
aSkeptic
It seems to me that what happens depends on the conductivity of the metal. A metal is a lattice of ions swimming in a sea of electrons, so when you impose a microwave (electric vector in rotary motion) the photon-electron interactivity coefficient (frequency dependent) the electron will be put into motion (ie, electric current). Given the resistivity (reciprocal of the conductivity) there will be an I-squared R loss. This energy term via the metals heat capacity would generate some temperature rise. I do not have the numeric databases available so can't estimate the temperature increase.
On the other hand, I once accidently put a ceramic dinner plate that had a decorative gold rim into the microwave. The sparking was impressive and the grub on the plate never warmed up at all. I expect the mobility of the gold rims electrons sucked up all the microwave energy. Someone else told me that was a good way to burn out a microwave.
Do not induction furnaces operate at much lower frequencies.
Reply to
Jack Ferman
Read the material more carefully. It is the crucible that is heated, not the metal itself. The coatings on the crucibles are designed to absorb the microwave radiation, the metal itself does not. Pragmatist.
Reply to
pragmatist
snipped-for-privacy@ties.k.mn.us (Jack Ferman) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x134-84-252-91.dialup.umn.edu:
A loop of metal in an RF field tends to look like a short circuit. Try it with loosely crumpled aluminum foil. (Actually, don't!) Food seems to be innately higher impedance, and the mass is greater than a thin gold foil so heating is much slower, and less spectacular. It's not nuclear physics, just basic RF electronics.
I think so, but probably still in the RF range.
--Damon
Reply to
Damon Hill
The lack of penetratin of electromagnetic waves into metals has been classically well known for over a century.
There is a "skin depth" related to the conductivity of the metal and to the frequency of the electromagnetic wave. Both high frequency and high electrical conductivity limit the penetration of electromagnetic waves in metals to small depth.
That is why metals reflect electromagnetic waves.
At 10 Ghz, for example, the skin depths of good metallic conductors like Al, Au, Ag, Cu conductors are a little less than 1 micron.
Jim
Jack Ferman wrote:
Reply to
jbuch
It seems that Uncle Al had a good observation.
Samnam does type faster than he thinks.
But, for nanotech, perhaps that isn't all bad, or else we could run out of hype for the otherwise valuable topic.
Jim
Reply to
jbuch
Depends on size/power requirements but generally 50/60 Hz for melting several tons, audio frequencies for for small melts (eg dental) going up to ~ 1MHz for welding/surface hardening.
Reply to
jc

Site Timeline