Ford Focus

The Ford Focus with the Huf 8 cut side bar ignition appears to have a whopping design defect, I have had three of them in as many weeks.

Since I suspect I an not the only one, has anyone figured out what causes these to fail?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

does idiot ENGINEER give you a CLUE???

5, count them, 5 INTERNAL designs in 5 YEARS...

the FIRST 2 years, you could NOT insert the key, then the sidebar gives problems.. 3 in 3 weeks, try 2 in a MORNING..

10 minutes work to get them out, from getting there to getting it out... its 'almost' as good a job security to me as the N body GM ignition thats my MAJOR 2 to do

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Poor metallurgical quality in the first year.

I don't agree with the engineering statement...the Focus ignition is very similar in design with the Mystique Contour ignition and those are no more problematic than others.

These igniti>

Reply to
Darren Ingleson

OK but what is causing the failure? After drilling, there is not much left to look at. I thought the problem was the shutter thing, but after scrutiny I can't seem to blame this part for the failure.

Also is the current offering from Strattec a whole lot more reliable?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The failures I have seen do not seem to have a problem with the castings, (or at least none that I can see after drilling) but something is causing a sudden failure. I have only been able to coax open a few of these so far, most have fallen to the drill bit.

I am leaning toward the theory that the failure is caused by insufficient clearance for the tumblers or perhaps the side bar itself, but I have yet to figure out exactly why especially as you observed that the Contour ignition was very similar.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

the Contour around here never gave problems...

never seen one break, BUT, seen a LOT that due to the 5 pieces that unlocked the cylinder and let it slide- pick one that would break, and it did they had 3-4 designs of this mechanism.. all bad..

the latest is the side bar failing.. key goes in, wont turn..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

the first 2 years were for me... the shutter broke/jammed and the key would NOT go in...

the diagnosis would be would the key go IN, and the cylinder fall in the almost quarter inch or not? if NOT, then something in the shutter screwed up.

but after scrutiny

no ideas, all mine are HUF (I think), IE OEM Ford... I drill and replace.. they supply them.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

The problem with the Focus Ign. is the tumblers are to narrow and they bend in the cyl. Your best bet is to tap the key a few time with a light hammer (this works 90% of the time ) or drill it out than replace with a 2002 ford explorer Ign. no side bar and heaver waffers

Reply to
LOCKMAN80

Had at least 8 go sour in the last year. Must be made by the same fools that made the Saturn ignition that locked up so often. The one today suffered from the buzzer activator out of shape jammed. Had 2 come back within weeks after putting new ones in. Has my P.O.S. nomination for the 04 election.

mr.bill

Reply to
mr.bill

Reply to
Jimmy F.

BTW, all the Focus I have seen look almost EXACTLY like the 10 cut GM Wafer used in the ignition. in fact, I am tempted to dig out a box, and compare and see how close they are.. THis lock is different than the other 8 Cut ign in that the wafers are totally enclosed within the plug.. totally different design than the rest. BUT, all those I have messed with are HUF, and I am replacing these for a dealership.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--