Old padlocks (well, maybe just replicas)

I came across these today and bought all 4 of them pretty cheap. I think they are replicas, but they are still very cool. The largest one is bigger then any padlock I have ever seen =) (I put M1 masterlock keys next to them for a size comparison) BTW, is there a way to pick these things? Im sure I need special tools. Maybe a bent screwdriver might do? I'll tell you something though, if I didn't know anything about locks and I was told to choose if I want the smallest one of these or a No. 1 Master locks.....I would probibly go with the smaller one of these. It just feels and looks like a tougher lock. =)

Reply to
Paul M.

Nice set of locks there ;-)

Yes it is possible to pick them, they appear to be common lever locks.

Beyond that, I cant reveal anymore here in the open forum.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Well, if you wouldn't mind speaking privately about it my e-mail is snipped-for-privacy@hotmailNOSPAM.com (just take out the NOSPAM) -Paul

Reply to
Paul M.

I'll tell you

I doubt the shackle is as tough, nor would it survive a beating with a hammer as long as the Master.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Note that locks of this sort are still being manufactured, and used, in places where precision manufacturing costs more and hand labor costs less. I've seen some rather nice ones imported from India, for example; my own collection includes a heart-shaped lock with a "feathered" key. I've debated trying to find out who imported those; I know some folks in the leather-and-chains crowd and I suspect there's a serious untapped market there.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam