Heads Up - lathe for sale, well maybe

Hi All

Following the success of my steel disposal here a while back - I figured that I may as well try this one on you all!

One of the University Departments I deal with here in Cambridge has an old Kerry lathe which may be coming up for disposal shortly. I can't give you chapter and verse on which model it is and its capabilities but broadly speaking.......

It has a NON gap bed, 6 inch chuck an over all length of maybe four foot or so - 2 foot something bed? It has a 3 phase motor. I don't know how accurate it is but knowing the department where it is coming from it will not have had a hard life and ought to be reasonably accurate. As far as i know all the feeds etc work - its unwired ready to move so I can't turn up a test piece. It would have chucks with it and maybe some other tooling - I haven't looked in the cupboard yet. It is fixed to a cast steel type cabinet/base with a coolant/swarf tray on top. The cabinet houses the motor and looks to be as heavy as the lathe! Not sure how easy it would be to separate the lathe from the base - probably a pain in the bum.

At present they are waiting to hear whether or not one of their people wants it for his workshop at home. I suspect he may want it but will not be able to move it and not having a 3 phase supply will not be keen to spend 200 quid on a suitable inverter and that the lathe will then be made available.

So, if the above were to become available sometime around the end of next week .............. who might be interested - just in principle, no committment to take it etc!

You would need to be able to move it yourself once it is outside of the building, it could be moved around the building on a pallet truck. However once you are outside you are on your own! So some experience of moving machinery would be a definite advantage! You need to bring your own man power and your own transport to take it away.

The price is negotiable - I was thinking along the lines of a £50 donation into their workshop coffee kitty (just for the lathe and the head and tail chucks/center as currently fitted) any other tooling would be by negotiation. The 50 quid is based on what it is likely to make at the local scrappy - its ultimate destination if no one wants it!

Once I get some idea of interest I can arrange to go over and take a couple of digital images which I can mail out.

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

Get thee behind me Satan!

It should make someone happy.

Try to either get pictures or get the exact model number.

Splitting the lathe from the cabined should be very simple, but will still result in 5 cwt needing to be lifted, with 2 cwt for the stand. Easy with an engine hoist, or just move the whole thing up a ramp into a van or trailer on rollers.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I would certainly be interested in it and I have the necessary kit to move it - I've done similar before.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Mark

Well I think its safe to say that even you won't be able to get it 'easily' into a Metro!

:o)

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

Ok Richard interest noted. I'll try and get some photos sorted in the next couple of days.

regards

dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

Richard

If you do go for it I have a Kerry 1124 manual that I could copy for you. Nice lathes, especially the later ones. The L00 spindle is an expensive thing to furnish with backplates and faceplates though!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Oh I forgot, they move Ok with an engine hoist and low trailer.Weight about 450Kg

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Wouldn't fit. But I did move a Hardinge DV59 plus an ML7 and three drill presses with a Transit, trolley jack and a Sherpa 700 lb manual forklift.

I need another lathe like I need a hole in the head, but it should do good work for someone, which ever of the several models it turns out to be.

regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

But if you got the 'right' one you could bore one to half a thou.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Thanks for the kind offer and info. We'll see how things pan out. Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard