Mitsubishi Rekeying Problem

I recently purchased an older model Mitsubishi Montero for my daughter.
I need to get key made for the ignition and door locks. There were
none available. I was told that if I took the passenger side door
lock, with it's serial number and the vehicle VIN, a competant
locksmith could get the codes and cut a key. We took this information
to the local shop and the lady took the serial number but not the VIN
and got a code from the internet. The resulting key works on the door
lock, but not the ignition. She said she could "impression" a key for
a lot of money, or I could buy a new cylinder from the auto supply for
about $60.00.
This shop owner is a new locksmith and I don't have a lot of confidence
in her and there isn't another option in my small town.
Any ideas??
Thanks
Reply to
joe_in_nevada
Never mind. I got the key to work after pulling it out of the cylinder a little and jiggling the key until the shear line aligned. I thing she needs to raise of lower the key just a bit in the key cutting machine.
Reply to
joe_in_nevada
You really don't want to hear our ideas of someone who buys a car that has no ignition key without *first* having determined how they're going to get that key and what the cost will be. Frankly, this is not a credible question and you're not likely to get serious answers.
She gave you two answers. If she's the only person within reach and you aren't willing to pay trip and/or towing fees so someone else can work on it, and you don't have a local dealer (who may just give you the same two answers for similar or greater costs), that's what you have to work with. Pick one.
Reply to
Joe Kesselman
no, probably not.. EITHER, and this is NOT uncommon. the 'key stop' in the cylinder wears down a bit, allowing the key to go in too far.. the only fix, ASSUMING the key you had made works the PASSENGER door and the trunk real good, is to get a new cylinder or at least the PLUG, and have it pinned per your needed code and installed.. the metal used for the plug has a nick name of 'pot metal', even tho its not.. probably zamak actually.. but, this lock has and gets a lot of use, and this is to me, pretty common.. older Dodge, ESPECIALLY cans, do the same thing, but they are a tip stop.. and not a shoulder like yours --Shiva--
Reply to
--Shiva--
Thanks for the info. May end up replacing the plug. The car's cost was too good to passs up, and the title is clear. Sometimes, one needs to take a risk.
Joe
Reply to
joe_in_nevada

Site Timeline