Activating central locking using hidden switches

I had an interesting conversation with someone recently who claimed that many cars could be entered by simply putting wires from a 9V battery across certain externally accessible points, causing the central locking to activate. It seems to be a built-in feature. I won't post the details of what I was told, but has anyone else heard the same?

Reply to
Usenet

It's plausible, but without knowing what vehicles it is near impossible to advise.

I'm aware of some vehicles can be opened in a similar method, although there is no 9 volt battery involved and the access points are difficult to get to.

Reply to
ahl

Sounds like BS to me.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The person in question worked for a roadside recovery company, and said that the method worked with a wide range of makes, including some very expensive marques, though each model was different. Obviously, it's not wise to go into too much detail here. He may be giving me a load of BS, and I can't remember sufficient detail about a particular model to give it a try. But I can't see why the car manufacturer would build it in. What benefit would they get?

Reply to
Usenet

You can unlock some vehicles electrically, but it is an alternate bypass method rather than a purposefully built in 'feature'.

There is a lot of urban myth involved with opening cars. i.e. hitting shock sensors in a certain car will unlock the doors.Yeah, it will *IF* certain conditions are met - It doesn't work on a parked and locked car.

As an aside, you can actually unlock some doors (not vehicle) with a hairdryer! - No joke. This is not an intended design feature or an effective bypass method but it does work.

Now I'm in the pooh for letting cabal secrets out!

Reply to
ahl

How dare you !! Shame on You !!!!

Ca-raaaccckkk!!! Ca-raaaaaaaccckkkk!!

LMAO.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

---- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2264 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Bill Halle

Reply to
Bill Halle

Now think about it. How would this actually work? Is there even enough amperage in a 9V battery to activate the locking solonoids in a typical vehicle? I seriously doubt it. What externally accessible points on a vehicle are there that are neither non-conductive or electrically part of the vehicles ground?

Reply to
Tim Mathews

The concept is loosely based in fact. There are methods to unlock some vehicles similar to what is being described.

A 9 volt battery may have enough grunt to activate a switching circuit rather than an actuator. Or it may not. I don't know as I've never tried any bypass methods with a 9 volt battery.

Reply to
ahl