seized car locks help

I have both locks on my 1998 Volkswagen beetle seized. I was purchased this way a few weeks ago. What is the best way for me to free them up. I was told to try WD40 in them. spray them heavy and let the sit a few days.

any help would be appreciated

Thank You Gerry

Reply to
Odie

both? meaning ign and door? and you bought it this way? or it just happened.. 1, could be a 'it happens', but 2? naa.. something has altered it.. weather? cold? mad neighbor?

What is the best way for me to free them up. I was told

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

purchased this

I would not spray wd40 in those locks. especially not heavily because it can drain out and damage the finish or other parts.

You are probably going to hear a ditto of this -but find a REPUTABLE LOCKSMITH WHO HAS WORKED ON VW HIGH SECURITY LOCKS.

Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

which I am seeing is REALLY RARE.. ditto the Mercedes.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I've worked on a few VW locks. A couple of the other posters suggest they may be high security locks. Don't know about that.

Which locks? both doors?

Does the key go in at all?

Does the key go in but not turn?

Do you feel tumblers as the key goes in?

Where do you live? Do they salt the roads there?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The locks are both my door locks

Key goes in all the way

Key goes in but will not turn

I live in NY State where they salt the roads

The vehicle is in a heated garage when I try it.

Reply to
Odie

Simultaneous failure suggests the problem may be the key rather than the locks. You might have a locksmith take a micrometer to the key and check how badly out of spec it is. Recutting it to factory spec on a code machine might be the right answer.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

I have worked on VW locks and this sounds strange to me. WD40 would be safe but you really don't need to over do it.

Some questions:

Does the key still work in the trunk?

Are you locked out?

By seized, do you mean the key will not turn at all? Or does it turn a little bit, or one way but not the other?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

the NEW VW are sidewinders.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

works ignition OK? got a glove and or trunk lock? try it there..

I would, due to 2 things.. make a phone call to the VW dealer, and ask what they say is safe to put in the door lock, lube wise.. or any 'garage' that DOES work on these, besides the dealership. if you dont have a dealer handy..

and this ASSUMES hat the key DID work the doors AT ONE TIME.. if it NEVER HAS as long as you owned it, . then you must get on the phone and call around to a NEW VW capable locksmith and have a chat with him.. this car 'might be a repo, and had a different ign lock stuck in, and sold.. meaning the door locks must be rekeyed..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

that would be my first choice.

Reply to
Key

I'm also in NY, they sure dig a lot of salt out of Retsof. And there is also another mine near Piffard, which is near Geneseeo.

It's possible the WD (or any other lube) might not work -- if the lcoks are too badly salted. Might need to take it in to a locksmith shop to get it freed up.

The couple of VW I've worked on, are pretty straight forward. Easy enough to dissemble, and get freed up.

Reminds me, I've got to go oil my vehicle door locks again soon. I try to get them twice a year.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the Post.

More info. I just purchased the vehicle a few weeks ago. The old owner told me that the passenger door seized up over a year ago and the drivers door seized up this winter. Said that he never used the key that much because it has keyless remote that still works. I think it might be dirt or salt in the locks.

I also live by restof salt mine, go past it when I travel to Rochester N.Y., I will use wd40 and see if it helps. and will post back.

Thanks Gerry

Reply to
Odie

Or wear/abuse of the keys or locks.

I second the comment that you should probably have figured the cost of correcting this into what you were willing to pay for that car...