Canadian Tire in trouble?

I made two enquiries about different pieces of equipment sold currently by Canadian Tire and listed on their web site with their customer services. On
both occasions I was directed to the same telephone number, supposedly the "manufacturer". The phone is answered as "Mastercraft" which is one of the Canadian Tire trade marks. If you follow the menu and enter the product number you are directed to the specific make of the tool (Jobmate or Mastercraft again).
On both occasions I was told the same thing: "We have no information on this product". When enquiring how it is possible that a "manufacturer" has no idea about the product it manufactures I was told that both companies stopped dealing with Canadian Tire or words to that effect.
The telephone number (as I found later but already suspected) is nothing to do with manufacturing: It belongs to a company called "Global Sourcing" whom I suspect to be essentially Chinese importers. I further suspect that it is unlikely that *two* manufacturers in China would have gone out of business (unless of course Canadian Tire stopped paying them for their goods - another matter entirely). So does Canadian Tire import from a single manufacturer and re-label their stuff locally: Cheap stuff is Jobmate, slightly more expensive stuff is Mastercraft?
So what does it mean for the corporation or for the consumer? I for one would be extremely wary of buying anything from them that might need spare parts in future. Having said that, their return policy has so far been excellent. Generally, however, I ask for money back, not for a replacement. I wonder how that will go now?
Has anyone in the US noticed a similar problem with Chinese importers?
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Canadian tire is in pretty good shape, but in attempting to compete with WallMart they have gone to multiple offshore suppliers to make their "brand name" stuff. The "suppliers" are hole-in-the-wall operations that just broker goods - don't know SQUAT about the products, generally speaking
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:11:20 -0700, "Michael Koblic"

Where do you think the nickname Crappy Tire came from, or have you never heard that on the left side of the country? Gerry :-)} London, Canada
wrote:> Where do you think the nickname Crappy Tire came from, or have you

Half of the stuff I bought from them I returned for refund. The other half is doing a good job. However...
The concept of customer service not extending beyond giving you the money back if you bring the purchased item back within 10 days is a new one to me (to my mind the 1 year warranty and the "special" warranty -whatever that means - must now be questionable.) So is the concept of the shop/supplier/"manufacturer" not having a clue about their product. I have called their Corporate Customer Relations (sounds grand, does it not?) and spoke to a lady who was clearly unaware of what was going on and gave me - the phone number of Global Sourcing! After I gave her the facts of life she took my phone number and promised to get back to me. I am not holding my breath.
I hate to slag off Canada but some of the business practices here do not compare favourably with those of equivalent establishments down south:
1) Compare Harbor Freight (with its poor reputation amongst our southern neighbours) and Boss tools (Canadian equivalent). For all the tools I looked at on the HF site you can download manuals with part numbers and specs. Good luck with that at Boss tools (I once phoned HF to get info on the identical product Boss were selling and knew diddly squat about).
2) The same comparison applies to Grizzly and Busy Bee although at least Busy Bee has *some* manuals on their web site. The comparison of catalogs favours Grizzly with better and often more accurate descriptions.
There are many other examples. There are also shining exceptions such as Lee Valley.
But if you want a good selection of crimping terminals, at least in this town, you better head to good old Canadian Tire....:-)
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Cambell River is a bit like Owen Sound Ontario, isn't it? A hundered miles from nowhere.

Nowhere being Nanaimo. But we are unlike anything in Ontario.
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:07:21 -0700, "Michael Koblic"

I know I've been there. Nowhere that WET in Ontario!!
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:50:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And if you really want "out there" look up Kabompo, or Mbershi, or Mporokoso. Or Mwinilunga.
Or Sindu, or Fabedougou
Charming little places WAY off the beaten track - the track from nowhere to NOWHERE.
Been there.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Years ago I drove from Michigan to Niagra Falls via the UP of Michigan vs crossing at Blue Water Bridge. There is a lot of nowhere up there. I liked it since I'm just a rural guy at heart.
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of Canada is owned by the Crown? In the US large parts of the south west is owned by the feds.
Wes

Canada is 998 million Hectares = 310 million hectares is forested. 93 percent of this forested land is "crown land" - 78% of this is provincially owned, 16% federally.

it?
Ontario.
Ever been to Flin Flon? ;>))
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 22:05:13 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

Just add a zero.
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:51:19 -0400, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca scrawled the following:

Izzat anywhere near West BF Egypt?
--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Phil Kangas wrote:

Have you ever been to Broke Leg Falls?

Campbell River is actually a fairly major place. Used to be one of the best salmon sport fishing areas. Will be towing the boat through CR in August on the way to Port Hardy and a Rivers Inlet run. Now there is a place that is near nowhere.

isn't
be one of the best

through CR in August on

is a place that is

So back to Flin Flon, how come nobody goes there? Back in'96 my friend and I made a motorcycle trip there and all the way up and all the way back all we got when we said we went to FF was " are you crazy? are you nuts? nobody goes to FF". We heard it at the border, in restaurants, gas stations, campgrounds and even the RCMP! That place is unusual all right. All rock, hard rock. The power poles are mounted on big steel plates that are bolted into the rock and anchored with at least four guy wires each, the whole power line! And the water/sewer lines are above ground in a manifold box house to house and heated with a steam line connected to the smelter in winter. Quite the place..... I'm happy we made that trip......the weather was good at that time and the night was very warm for that far north. The northern lights were blasting away and it never did get dark like it does farther south. They are near the 55th paralell so the days were long and the night short. phil
Phil Kangas wrote:

Ft. Greely, AK, had all the utilities in steam heated concrete troughs. They were covered with thick steel plates that were removed to make repairs. Look for information on "Wwhite Alice" which was the first 'over the horizon' microwave telephone relay system. It was built because they couldn't put up poles, or bury the cables and the military needed reliable communications. It was quite an engineering feat, and several people died, working in the extreme cold.
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=white+alice+history+alaska
The longest day was 23 hours, 45 minutes and the shortest was 15 minutes, even though the sun didn't actually rise. I sat near the top of the tower at the TV station to watch the northern lights light the entire sky for hours one night late in August.

Michael Koblic wrote:

A result! Today I was contacted by a man from a repair shop in the Lower Mainland who seems to have the necessary spare parts including a selection of K-profile v-belts. He was very helpful and goes on my speed dial.
Persistence pays, although not having to work for living is a definite bonus. I cannot imagine wasting this much time and energy few years back.
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Site Timeline