Propane Torch

Having now got some fire bricks and made a small hearth I've been silver soldering a small boiler. The propane torch I have came with three nozzles,

10mm 14mm 17mm. I am using the 17mm nozzle and have done part of the job without too much difficulty, but when it came to soldering the ends on I didn't seem able to get enough heat in. Do I need to get more bricks round the part too keep the heat in, or should I think about some larger nozzles (they also do 25mm 40mm 50mm sizes). This boiler is only 1.75" diameter by 6" long, most other projects I'm planning will be bigger than this.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

May I suggest getting a second blow torch and using one for general heating of the boiler and the other directing heat onto the joint.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

I'd go for a bigger nozzle - at least 25mm - but you can always get a

40mm and turn the gas down when you don't need its blast-furnace capabilities. You'd be surprised at just how delicate a flame you can get out of a big nozzle - I sometimes use my 25mm nozzle on low gas for small soft soldering jobs where I need a 'wrapping' flame.

Keeping the work wrapped in firebricks ( the soft, white type ) will help to reflect heat back into the job...but bear in mind any previously soldered joints!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard