Cad software for PDA

Anyone come across CAD software for PDA?

Laptop bit bulky to carry around - thinking of getting PDA, or if lucky might get one for Christmas?

Keep accidentally tearing pages in Argos catalogue on the PDA page, trying to drop a few hints.

Comments?

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

I seem to recall there was some kind of CAD sketching program for the Psion (can't remember which one). You could try trawling the net for something, there is a lot available for the Windows CE machines. I would have thought the screen resolution would have made it a bit difficult to operate anything truly useful, unless you just want to jot down some basic 2D sketches. If you really want CAD on the move I think you'll have to get a laptop. I've got full 3D CAD/CAM running on my laptop, and with a good resolution 15" screen it is quite usable. It's a few years old now so a new one should be more powerful & half the weight.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Thanks Kevin,

There is one called ZipCad, which is able to import DXF files. This is aimed more toward architecture.

Yes I already have a laptop, but there are times that its too big to carry using public transport. Also most of the time just need to show a few ideas to customers when visiting shows.

Came across an article on ZipCad in a magazine, before I go out and buy this and a PDA would like to find out what other programs might be available.

According to the article PDA will open up to 2Mb of DXF files.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel
2 meg dxf files..... massive, for a standard 2d component, after using autocad for nearly 5 years i done think i have ever seen a dxf bigger then 1 meb, especialy by the time you purge all unrefferenced layers etc.. sounds like it may be worth a look if nothing else, (assuming its not vastly expensive)

If you find anything decent i would love to know about it, as it would be very usefull to me in my line of work,

Reply to
Tim Bird

Hi Tim,

I found article on ZipCad in Industrial Technology Magazine.

The price is £80.00 There was more info in the magazine article than I found on the website.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

looks like it may be worth the small investment, also looking at the link in another thread regarding pocket cad.. not found a price yet.. but not been looking long lol

Reply to
Tim Bird

Ok Lionel,

You've got me thinking now, and I like the idea of CAD on a palmtop. Try these links

Some of them are free, and some of the palmtops they run on are quite old now, so should be available cheap on Ebay.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele