What kind of gloat?

In just the past few months, I've noticed several types of gloat (in order of perceived magnitude):

Sort of gloat kinda gloat mini gloat Minor gloat gloat Gloat GLOAT

**GLOAT**

So, what kind of gloat is this?

And... where do I sign up for the prize for posting the first gloat of the year?

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Based on the standards of Rec.Woodworking the opinion of this poster is....

You Suck :)

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Soooo... at least in the bottom half of the list then. :-)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Humm...that would be a MegaGloat, you lucky bastard.

Btw..its 11:38 PM as I read this..so by my reckoning..its the last Gloat of the year

Well done! Well done Indeed!

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Nice wall! But what is that pile of iron in front of it? :-P

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

minor gloat no dro and its kinda light duty.

Reply to
erik litchy

Based on ANY standards... You Suck. :)

Nice find. Mike in Warrensburg

Hroller McKnutt Pornstar, Mad Scientist, Genius for Hire Girls chased and caught!

Reply to
Hroller

Very nice find, Steve!!! Even more impressive is that your wife lets you use it against the cultured rock wall in your living room. The rest of us are stuck either in the shop or the basement. Keep that woman!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
M Berger

Wow! I had no idea...

AND... it even does 5 TPI. Slide gear "in" for the

4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 5.75, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 range - change a few gears in the train (not included) and it'll cut as course as 1.5 TPI if necessary.

Everywhere except gunnerworld we go by the date header. ;-)

I'd been looking for a lathe for several months. Finally ran across this on the second day of a 10 day auction on eBay with no picture, no description, no bids, and even slightly miscategorized.

I drove the 140 miles to see it, and offered the guy $100 over his opening bid to close the auction and hold it for me for about 10 days til the next time I could make it down that way.

Patience, vigilance, luck, action... and maybe a bit more luck. :-)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

What makes you think that's not the master bedroom?

And yes, I'll keep her... after 30+ years, we've sort of become accustomed to each other.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I bought a 1938 Atlas 12x36 lathe from the owner's widow when she offered it to me.

No quick change gears. No reversing switch. No extra collets. Only 0.25 H.P. No pile of round and hex metal No original paint.

I offered $500, but was negotiated up to ~$700.

I am happy with the deal. I have cut external threads, internal threads, and reamed a chamber on that little lathe. It won't make 2 pounds of steel chips in an hour, but it does accurate work.

So I have to give you my highest gloat rating, "I hate you."

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

I thought i got a good deal on my atlas

I'd be sending a police cruiser after you cause you STOLE IT

and the fact that you got high praise from GUNNER whose best known as the ultimate scrounger on RCM says something too

BUT i will argue first gloat of 07

both my newsclient and google say thats an 06 post

Congrats on the LAST gloat of the year. First is still up for grabs in RCM

Not that you or the lathe really care =)

Brent Ottawa Canada

Steve Ackman wrote:

Reply to
Brent

How about a TMC 1000 benchtop CNC mill (mill only with the motors and drive parts in a box) for $550? A friend was going to convert it to manual but just not practical. Nice thing is R-8 spindle. Another friend is looking for a benchtop kneemill around Oklahoma region (Texas. Kansas, etc.) Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

Probably you have some kind of google setting to your time zone. Click "options" -> "Show original" and see what the actual date header says. ;-)

Thanks, but it was the FIRST of the year!

Yes, we both care. First is almost always better than last! ;-)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

really? tell that to the prisoners on death row, (or try any other negative situation)

snip >>>>

Reply to
William Noble

As far as quality goes, it is an OK lathe. I got rid of mine (which didn't look quite so shiny) for $1000 to a friend. I think I paid $1400 for it. If you will be doing general light work, it is a fine machine. It sounds like you got a real DEAL!

This is what I'm using now.

is only on the tough cuts that you can tell the difference, but there surely is a difference!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Ho hum! Mine has 80 threading feeds, and 80 different carriage feeds. No wonder Sheldon went out of business! The Sheldon QC box makes a 5 speed automatic transmission look totally simple by comparison.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Because he'll eventually want a BIGGER one, of course! (Been there, done that, have the ruts in the back yard to prove it!)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

That must be some woman :-)