What is it? Set 487

I need some help with the first and last items in this set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2833: a mold for making a small disk. After-dinner mints? NECCO wafers? Marzipan florins? I suppose it could be used with an engraved plate to form wax seals.

2834: a mason's float, shaped for molding a trough of some sort.

2835: complete mystery. It looks like iron outdoor furniture, but has features that would catch rainwater and promote rust. Too small to be a Victorian folly.

2836: A flagholder, with provision for attaching flowers or other decorative bric-a-brac

Reply to
whit3rd

2834 Masons float tool 2836 Soldering iron holder Art
Reply to
Artemus

s? Marzipan florins?

I have no idea what this thing is but when the owner described this device he said something like a wire could be placed into the holes and then the o ther part could be forced past the holes to cut the wire with the teeth. No t that it's a wire cutter but just something that came to mind when trying to figure it out.

I think this is probably correct but I can only find flat ones on the web.

tive bric-a-brac

Reply to
Rob H.

As I mentioned previously I think this is right.

This answer is definitely correct.

Btw, I've been having trouble posting to my news server so I've been postin g through Google, and they apparently don't allow cross posting so I've had to post to each group individually. Hopefully we will work out a way get t hings back to normal with all three groups posting to one thread.

Reply to
Rob H.
2833, no clue. 2834, my first thought was a variation on stove iron. But, not if it's hollow. 2835, the base looks like from a coal burning stove. Rest are flue pipes? 2836, repro of medeival candle launcher 2837, vaguely resembles a pallet puller. Missing the chain, of course.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think it's more for decorative work like cove molding in stucco or plaster work.

through Google, and they apparently don't allow cross posting so I've had to post to each group individually. Hopefully we will work out a way get things back to normal with all three groups posting to one thread.

Reply to
Steve W.

A bit late on this one. Too much going on.

Posted from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

2833) Hmm ... a few possibilities.

A) A hose nozzle -- possibly for a fine mist.

B) A pop-up pressure relief valve -- possibly for an old pressure cooker.

C) Well ... there *was* something else which I was thinking of -- but I've forgotten it now. :-)

2834) Something for forming the concrete where a gutter downspout drains.

2835) Some kind of stove?

2836) A soldering iron rest to keep an electric one from setting things on the workbench on fire.

2837) Looks like something which grips (between the two left-hand arms) based on the weight of whatever is gripped. (The arms should stick up. And it kind of looks like the part shown at the top fits over a pipe fence post.

2838) Weird kind of hammer?

Now to see what everybody else has already had time to suggest.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

So -- this is why the number of aricles in the thread has fallen

-- I'm only seeing 1/3 of them.

Who was your news server?

Perhaps you should consider going to newsguy (check out

It is for pay -- but not that much pay. They are the ones which I use.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Newsguy is the service that I was using, everything worked great until a few weeks ago. I emailed back and forth with their tech support for a couple of days but we couldn't find a solution.

No luck yet on the first and last tools in this set, the rest of the answers have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

No luck yet on the first and last tools in this set, the rest of the answers have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm ... what way do you use them? They have a web-based newsreader, and a downloadable newsreader for NNTP access, and there are a number of NNTP access tools for each OS.

Assuming Windows -- did you update anything -- like install the latest patches? Are you using something supplied with Windows, or something from a different source.

If you are using something not from Microsoft -- has *it been updated recently?

I use slrn -- but that is on a unix system, not on Windows, and I don't really know what to suggest on there, since I don't use it. At one time, Agent was highly recommended.

But did you try *any* other newsreader program than what you have been using? That sort of test could help determine whether the problem is the newsreader program or their news server. (I've noticed nothing with my use of them -- but I normally don't *originate* cross-posted threads, just participate in a select few of them.

It may be that something at their site, or something upstream of them does not like your repeated subject line, differing only in the set number -- especially in combination with the cross-posting. That has been the sign of spam in the past, and maybe someone wrote a filter to eliminate it in one of the servers.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I had been using Newsguy with Microsoft Windows Mail, I'm sure it's possible that my software was updated but I don't know if that caused the problem. I think the issue is probably with my computer and not the service provider.

I tried using Eternal September but got the same error.

Thanks for the tip on web-based Newsguy, later today I'll try it to see if cross posting works there, hopefully I'll have this sorted out by next week.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

cross posting works there, hopefully I'll have this sorted out by next week.

Looks like crossposting is going to work on their web service so hopefully things will get back to normal next week.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Which suggests that the problem (probably supposedly an *answer* to another problem -- such as heavily cross-posted spam) is in the Microsoft program which you are using -- and probably a "security update" which they quietly provided with other security updates. If you have automatic updates, anything (that they supplied) can change.

You can try:

1) Complain to Microsoft -- and ask them for a work-around. (There may be an option which you can click to re-enable cross-posting.)

2) Pick up one of many other newsreaders -- typically written for newsreading only -- and thus better at the task.

Do a search for "newsreaders for Windows", and download what looks best to you.

I *think* that my slrn preference has been ported to Windows, but I suspect that configuration may be a bit too complex. *everything* is configurable -- in a large number of ways. If you want that kind of control, go for it. If you want something simple to initially configure and use, go for one of the others. Forte's "Agent" has gotten lots of good reviews among Windows users.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, I'll check out some of those newsreaders and see how they look.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.