What is it? Set 375

I need some help with the last item in this set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Am 10.02.2011 11:40, schrieb Rob H.:

2162 Is a Case to carry Handguns and Amunition and such Stuff to the range. Made by Pachmayr.

regards Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft

2161:The ubiquitous 'bent nail'. Also part of a bar puzzle. 2162:: The construction looks very much like a PA or speaker cabinet, so I'm going to guess that its something for a musical instrument. Maybe a storage/carrying case for parts of a drum kit? All the optics stuff laying around it tells me I'm probably wrong, though. 2163:: A flower press 2164:: A device a doctor uses to check the nerve conductivity in your muscles. He touches the device to your arm, and it sends a very mild current between the ends, of which the transit time is measured to see if you have nerve damage between the points. 2165:: That would be a very dull axe, or maybe something for chipping out ice blocks. 2166:: It held a flat razor?

Now lets see if any of my wild guesses were even close to the mark...

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

2165 is a hawsing iron, used to set caulking in a ship's planking.

For the last item? Perhaps industrial strength hair curlers?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Am 10.02.2011 11:40, schrieb Rob H.:

2164 might be a electric cattle stunning device?

Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft

2164: an immersion water heater

2165: is a wood splitter for someone else to hold the long bar and the striker to hit the wedge

Reply to
George W Frost
2163 a flower press?
Reply to
Mouse

Correct, it's a Pachmayr case for pistols and ammo.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2163:: A flower press

The word 'press' is correct but it's not for flowers.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer.

These were in a glass case so I didn't have a chance to handle them, seems like they would be a little heavy for curlers but I guess you never know.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, I'm almost positive that it's a cattle prod.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2164 is an electric cattle prod. A google.image search will show dozens of them

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

I think 2166 is a cigarette rolling machine.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Please don't tell me that #2161 is a 'flesh plug' like this one

Ugh...

Reply to
humunculus

Am 10.02.2011 11:40, schrieb Rob H.:

2166 Reminds me at something, looks like some foldet Music Stands.

Regards Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft

2166 is interesting. Looks like it has a curved 'holder' running the length, and I can imagine a rod-shaped handle that allows it to be twisted, however it releases when the rod is twisted the other way. Maybe it is some sort of hair curler, or maybe something for coiling up film or something. Not sure what the little thumb-lever is on the right side.
Reply to
humunculus

No, it's not a flesh plug, whatever that is, I'm having lunch right now so I decided to pass on the link since it doesn't sound very good.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com...

2161 is a bottle opener.
Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Then it must be for leaves....phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

2161) Hmm ... a cut nail, bent into a loop, polished, and apparently chrome plated. The size is about right for shower curtain rings, but they would have to be slipped on over the end of the rod.

I would guess that it is a hook for hanging something, but not sure why a cut nail was the starting point.

2162) The size looks about right for the top two bins to hold 45-RPM records, and the bottom shelf -- might hold a few selected ones. This would make it useful for a traveling DJ's setup rig, back in the days that dances were handled by records, not CDs or iPods loaded with selected songs.

However, the things nearby look more like explorer's gear. A folding sighting compass to the left and a case for binoculars (with part of the binoculars visible) to the right of the case in question. Not sure what the foreground leather case might hold. Perhaps a holster for a firearm -- or a machete?

2163) Usually, I would expect something like this to be hollowed out to hold some kind of measuring instrument or something of the like.

However, the strange hinges, plus the interesting latch suggest that it is a press to hold something flat-- perhaps leaves or something similar. The hinges could spring to accommodate greater thickness, and the latch will hold at a fairly wide range of thicknesses.

2164) This looks like some sort of probe for measuring resistance, perhaps to measure moisture content, such as in the ground. The connector is a twistlock one which *could* have been used for power, but is an uncommon one -- perhaps to prevent someone from plugging it into the wall, as it would be rather dangerous.

It looks as though there is a pushbutton to apply power only when the button is pressed, which might suggest fairly high voltage anyway -- from whatever portable measuring instrument was used with it.

2165) Looks as though it is normally mounted on a pivot and hit with a hammer. Given how blunt the edge is, I suspect that it was intended to be used to break something brittle like slate or stone. 2166) Well ... "Realistic" was a brand for Radio Shack audio gear, but the 2 cents price at the bottom suggests that it predates Radio Shack.

It looks as though it unfolds, and locks onto other similar things, perhaps to make a tabletop camera tripod -- but I would really like to see an view of it unfolded (unlikely, given that they live in a museum. :-)

Now to send this off and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols