What is it? Set 527

I need some help with the first two items this week:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

3073 is the clock used on the first series of Countdown. Or it may be for measuring something, like SWG? 3075 is a paint tin opener.

3076 an embossing stamp?

3077 a cigar cutter?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I bet 3073 turns out to be some sort of cable (or similar) tension measuring device.

Erik

Reply to
Erik
3073 This looks like a dial-indicator thickness measuring device. Probably for something like paper or fiber. It is missing a thread wrapped around the cylinder on the pointer axis and terminated on the nearby screw on the lever. The test object goes between the blades at the top of the first two pictures. The pivot near the right-hand blade in the third picture gives a large mechanical advantage to the thread attachment. What I don't see is the return spring, but it may be a spiral under the face.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3073, my first thought was a meat scale for a butcher shop. Looking more, I'm less sure. 3074, totally no clue. 3075, I suspect a combination paint can opener, and bottle opener. Pepsi cola hits the spot.... (Yes, i can finish the jingle...) 3076, totally no clue 3077, my first thought was paper cutter, with the handle and blade missing. Looking closer, it appears to be some kind of cutter, but needs a longer handle for leverage. 3078, no clue.

Thanks, it's amazing how much technology is out there, and we've collectively forgotten so much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm still not sure about this one, and I have no idea what SWG is.

Neither of these.

Correct, but there is a further description that would more accurately identify the whole thing.

Reply to
Rob H.

That's what I was thinking but I couldn't find any others like it on the web. Below is more information on it from the owner.

"There are no markings of any kind. The interface between the lever that operates the cutters and the dial is missing. There is a small screw in roughly the center and beneath the lever that operates the cutters. There is a hole in the center shaft that moves the indicator on the dial."

Reply to
Rob H.

Bottle opener is certainly correct but the other end is not an opener at all, it's actually used to remove something.

Reply to
Rob H.

I'll pass along your suggestion to the owner and ask if the moving blade is spring returned.

Reply to
Rob H.

Crown caps? (yes, being a bit obtuse, here.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm thinking 3073 is for measuring out string or wire, nothing more than that. I think the string or wire is wrapped around the

3076 is tough without a larger image of the anvil secion, but could this be for welding band saw blades, or crimping two flat bands together?
Reply to
woodchucker

Correct, the patent is titled "Improvements in electric soldering apparatus for soldering thin steel bands such as band saws and the like"

Reply to
Rob H.

If the dial of the first one glows in the dark (i.e. contains Radium), then I would guess "dark room timer" (for photography).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, Surely this is wrong. It must be a "micrometer"?

Reply to
Bill

3074. Guess: Vise used in a factory. What I thought at first was a leveler, is apparently part of the gripping mechanism. The handle that opens, swings, and locks down, is too. Maybe it's related to the railroad (WAG)? This one is Great--whatever it is!!!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I refine my guess to "multi-purpose" welders (?) vise. It will secure two pieces of stock at the top--or by securing it in other ways.

Reply to
Bill

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always. (Which of the three cross-posted newsgroups are *you* posting from?)

3073) A one-off measuring device -- apparently from 0.000" to 0.100".

Made by a skilled toolmaker -- likely for his own use, as there is no brand or maker's name visible. The dial is hand lettered by someone with a really good hand. And it looks like the kind of enameled dial face that a good watch would have, which suggests that this was made by a skilled watchmaker. The decorative feet were another nice touch.

There appears to be a part missing -- a fine strand of steel spring stock going from around the central cylindrical part to the nearby screw in the arm.

There is likely either a spring under the dial to return the hand to the zero position, or the spring or wire which went around the cylinder would then continue to a small extension spring to provide the return force.

It was used on the workbench, with one hand opening the jaws by moving the projecting (through the curved slot) knob at the end of the lever to the fully open position, while the other hand placed the item to be measured between the jaws prior to releasing the lever to allow spring force to close it.

I doubt that you will find another of these to compare it to, so just work by the obvious function of the device -- a precision measuring instrument.

3074) Sorry -- without the ability to hold it in my hands and see what moves where and how, I've really got no guess as to what its function is.

I think that it is missing some part near the top back in the forth photo.

It is obvious that it is screwed to a bench, and the disc/knob at the bottom could become a presser plate to hold something down to the bench surface -- but that does not explain the upper parts of it at all to me.

3075) Left hand end is a bottle opener.

The right hand end might work with some kind of beer tap and/or keg.

3076) Some kind of early press for forming coffee into pucks?

Or -- for cutting something which comes in ribbon form?

Again -- not enough views, and not enough hands-on

Maybe for cutting the ends of bandsaw blades, and then holding them with the proper overlap so they can be brazed into a complete loop?

And it appears to be sitting on a gas stove, but I suspect that has no relationship to what it does.

3077) Looks like it might be used for cutting the end of a wooden dowel to produce a clean end.

And -- it looks like the ridges in the base plate are spaced at 1" intervals. Not sure why the base plate needs to be so heavy.

3078) For holding balls from a bingo (or other gambling) set?

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

#3074: I up my bet to "Rivet Setting Tool (& Vise)".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I simply cannot grasp why Don's comment generates these responses.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

I don't understand troll-like behavior either.

Reply to
Bill