What is it? Set 533

I need some help with the last item this week, number 3114:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

#3114 How about a "turf stake". The following appears to be a patent for one.

This set had me feeling pretty brow-beat too!

Bill

Reply to
Bill
3109. A mixing nozzle, for spraying things like weedkiller using a stream of water.

3110. An arc light.

3113. A relay.
Reply to
Mark Brader

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3109, pneumatic vaccination gun? 3110, no clue. Maybe electrical measuring test probe? 3111, Superman's hiking stick 3112, maybe a pallet puller? 3113, maybe some kind of switching relay, possibly phone system? 3114, it's a long black thing with no discernable detail. Perhaps better photos?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3112 A fence stretcher. A pole fit into the socket, and as it was swung back and forth the claws caught alternate links in a large chain and pulled.
Reply to
G. Ross

Could be, I'm still not sure about this item.

Reply to
Rob H.

Neither of these

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Fence stretcher is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's an old relay from the phone system

Better photos would certainly help, it's plastic, hollow, and has four slots on the end, two of which can be seen in the last photo. I was thinking it could be some kind of knot tying device but couldn't find one like it.

Reply to
Rob H.

SM: Neat, glad to get one, now and again.

SM: Makes me wonder if it's some kind of dispenser, the slot allows for a button to push the item out the pointy end of the tube.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

3111 looks like a bale spear.
Reply to
Steve W.

3110. Is a magnetic particle inspection yoke. Used to detect cracks in steel items. Turn it on with the button and sprinkle very fine steel powder and if there is a crack the powder will stand up on either side of it. Can't be fooled. The coils swivel to accomodate the structure.
Reply to
Phil Kangas

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, I was going to call it a magnaflux device but it looks like magnetic particle inspection yoke is a more common term for it.

Reply to
Rob H.
3109 Cold gun. AKA vortex tube. Art
Reply to
Artemus

Hooo Boooy! I finally answered one and got it right! ;>)} Magnaflux is the proprietary company name for it. This one looks to be intended for pipe.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3109) It distributes some kind of gas or blown content.

I only see one fitting, but I see what appears to be two triggers. No reservoir such as would be found in a spray paint gun.

At a guess, it perhaps distributes ionized air to discharge static charges on something -- in which case it also needs a high voltage coming into the gun at some point.

3110) A hand-held electromagnet. The push button energizes the coils. The clips partially hiding behind the right-hand end suggest that it is powered by clipping onto an automotive battery,, so I think that it is intended to magnetize something, rather than de-magnetize, as that would require AC instead of DC.

It looks as though the knurled nut in the center of the handle adjusts the spacing of the pole pieces.

At a guess, it is used to re-magnetize the poles in a generator (predecessor to the current alternator).

It could also be used to pick up objects made of iron or steel.

3111) The point suggests that it is intended to be a non-slip device on ice outdoors. The bolt at the other end suggests that it may be a hinged prop for something on ice. 3112) A load binder designed to hook over links of a chain, and shorten it to tighten it around the load (typically in a flatbed truck. 3113) A telephone relay -- I think made by Western Electric.

The terminals are intended to be connected to by wire-wrap tools, not soldering.

It has two coils, given the number of pins at the top surface, and the fact that wires are soldered to all four pins at the coil end.

Most of the wire-wrap terminal relays also had wire contacts, with pairs of spring wires twisted tight and then squeezed square, but this one has flat contacts. I can't tell which form the contacts have (A, B, C, or some of the more complex like break-make-before-break which were common in exchanges. I'm more familiar with the style of relays made and used by Automatic Electric -- a quite different style.

3114) What is the material? Is it all metal, or is the shell plastic? The slots mentioned are barely visible in the photos.

If all metal, I think that it is intended to hold a knife blade (perhaps a scalpel) with the knob adjusting how far it sticks out. In that case, the slot in the upper end is to keep the blade from rotating. One of the expansions of DFHA might support this: "Doctors Financial Health Advisors"

If the housing is plastic, however, it might be a form of test probe used in electronics work. The wire connected to the point held in the end would come out the slot, and again, the knob would control how much of the point is exposed.

It could also be intended to dispense small parts -- perhaps ball bearings, or tumblers for pin-tumblers locks. They would be loaded into the slot at the big end, and slowly shoved out by turning the knob.

Time to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

Oh, Don! Oh, Don...

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Technically a Wire Spring Relay. There were a few of them in the old Telco Central Offices, PBX's and Key Systems.

Google Wire Spring Relay Images. I think you will find one or two. :)

LdB

Reply to
LdB

According to the owner it's a flat spring relay, which I think is similar to a wire spring relay, I really don't know the difference between the two.

The answers for this set have been posted, still not sure about the last one:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.