What do ya'll think of this mill? (ebay)

I'm not exactly in the market for a mill like this, but since it was close to me, I watched it and there were no bidders. I've heard that Abene mills are pretty good quality. Is this a good price?

Gary Brady

Quite expensive, for a rather odd machine, at least in the US. Note that it only has 7.8" of Y-axis travel. That could be a limitation. It doesn't have a quill, so you will be doing all drilling, etc, by raising the table and knee. Also, unlike a Bridgeport, you can't drill holes at all when the head is angled.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

They've apparently had that mill for over a year now. From what I can in the pics it looks to be in decent shape though it's older than mine. I first became aware of it when a fellow RCM'er asked me what I thought of it about a year ago. Apparently they had referenced a copy of my old home page from my former ISP when advertising it that time. He thought I knew something about it because of that.

I must say that I'm biased and must first admit that I've never used a Bridgeport. While I can see some peoples points of no quill I've only wished for one about 3 times in about 6-8 years of using mine. In the mean time I've appreciated the extra rigidity available due to the lack of a quill more times that I can count. It's a very versatile machine and can do many things that I don't think a Bridgeport could handle primarily because of size. It's larger and heavier built than a Bridgeport. I find it a perfect size myself. It's not so big that it's hard to use (I've used a #3 Cinci in the past which was rather large and thus cumbersome to use) but it's big enough to handle most any project I've thrown at it. The few times I've wished for a bigger mill I was wishing for a much bigger mill (as in I needed 8' of X travel or more).

My home page has some pretty good examples of the kind of work that can be turned out on this machine. Have a look if you want.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Oh yeah I forgot to comment on the price.

Well as you know machines in this area tend to bring more than some others. If the machine is in good shape (and in some ways it's in better shape than mine) then it's probably worth the price. I paid more than that for mine and mines not got travel-dials on it.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook