What kind of gloat?

Well, yes and no. It wasn't the woman that made the ruts in the back yard, but the

21,000 Lb rough-terrain reach fork lift truck, aided by the puny 3500-Lb lathe it carried. But, "the woman" stood by me the whole time, even calling all of my (and her) friends looking for advice on how to get the behemoth out of the ground. The behemoth is gone, the ruts have mostly healed, the lathe has been beautifully rebuilt, and I love it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

According to Steve Ackman :

Looking at the photo on the web page, I have to ask:

1) Do you have the normal jaws for the 3-jaw chuck? (I only see the outside grip jaws on that one.) 2) Do you have the collets for that collet closer? (Looks as though it uses the 3C collets, not the 5C collets which My Clausing 12x24" uses.)

The milling attachment is a nice plus, if you don't yet have a milling machine.

And -- you'll want to pick up a good quick-change toolpost to replace that rocker toolpost. For the 12x24" Clausing, I went for the BXA/Series-200 size. You might be able to get away with the AXA/Series-100 size on this machine, as the bed is not as rigid, especially with that extra length.

Also -- you'll want to pick up a 4-jaw independent chuck to keep that 3-jaw universal company.

Nice live center in the tailstock. Is there a drill chuck for it?

Which time zone? :-)

And when did you actually get it home? :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Nope. What I saw was what I got.

Just the one collet that's on it. Without going to check, I'm going to say 5/16". Taxing my recall, but the 3C and 5C are split collets, no? This is for holding milling cutters.

I don't, so it's certainly better than nothing.

Yeah, that'll be somewhere near the top of the list. From '79 to '85 I ran about every lathe there was at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Not a single one of them had a rocker toolpost. Never saw one at Naval Aviation Depot, Jacksonville in the early '90s either. As a matter of fact, this one is missing the rocker, so I've made up a temporary one that'll get me by til I can either make a better one, or go Aloris type.

Absolutely! I always preferred a 4-jaw over a 3-jaw.

Look closer. That is the drill chuck. There's just a single dead center that I found after I shot the photo; no live centers.

All of them... since it's the only gloat I see dated

1 Jan 2007, the time zone pretty much becomes irrelevant! ;-)

There's sort of a story there... I suppose it depends on what you consider "getting it home." When it rode down the driveway? When it went down bulkhead? When the motor/cabinet/stand was reunited with the lathe proper? I even know some people who wouldn't count it "actually home" until the photographic proof was posted.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I don't plan on sticking anything like a solid 12x36 round in there and hogging off cuts .250 deep. Too many times over the years, I've been in the middle of something, and had the thought, "Man! If I only had a lathe..." That's mostly what this is for... so I don't have to have that thought any more. :-)

I used those many years ago. They are nice lathes for sure.

My "ruts in the driveway" story isn't about a lathe, but a coffee roaster... sort of a stream of conciousness piece, and not nearly as impressive as your ruts.

near bottom)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Next door neighbour was getting the seal coat treatment and the foreman/salesman came over to do the big sell on yours truly. I asked him if he really thought he could do something for my pavement, and he assured me that, YES he could do wonders for that surface. I gave the hump between the ruts a kick with my toe to expose the fact that the grass hadn't even been cut before the application of 1/2" of stone dust and paving with 1/2" of sand mix driveway paving mix. The guy had to admit that his treatment would probably be a waste of money, as it subsequently proved to be for my neighbour. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller