need plans for bender

I have a Chicago 38" finger brake. It weighs about 400 Lbs. The construction is absolutely incredible, the brake beam is a 2x4 of solid steel welded to a bar. I had to take it apart to get it out of my car, and it took a couple of strong guys to lift the beam back into place! What is amazing is this thing, for all the MASSIVE construction, still has trouble bending some pretty light pieces of aluminum and really thin steel! Throwing a couple of pieces of light steel angle together is NOT going to make much of a tool.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have been looking at diacro manual benders. THey come in sizes 1,1A,2,3,4

These benders are expensive new and even seem to fetch a good price on ebay. It would be nice to have one, but its hard to justify the price for something I would not use very often.

Anybody ever make a simple version of one? They look simple enough. See diacro.com under manual benders for pics if you are not familar with them.

Micro mark sells something the looks similar that might be a good starting point.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

[ ... ]

Just for comparison, I have a DiAcro 24" brake, which weighs 325 pounds (according to the web page, but it seems to weigh more), and the

36" one weighs in at 470 pounds.

There is a *lot* of cast iron in this thing, and a lot of steel as well. The moving part (which accomplishes the bends) is a 1/2" steel plate about nine or ten inches from edge to edge (and, of course, 24" wide). It is applied edge-on to the workpiece -- the maximum strength orientation. There is also a length of angle-iron bolted to the working edge, to keep it from bending sideways as the load is applied.

The DiAcro uses large diameter needle roller bearings in several locations. Something like 1-1/2" diameter in one place, with needles probably 0.100" diameter at a guess. It is downstairs, and it has been a while since I partially disassembled it to get it up onto the workbench.

So -- yes, you *could* build your own, but it would help to have an iron foundry to make the various rather massive parts.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Have you looked at these?