Chester DB8 Lathe

Chester DB8 Lathe with tray & stand!

I would like to buy a lathe to get started on some model making, having had a look around this lathe is on offer till the end of the month at £495 with the stand and tray.

Any good or bad points about this lathe?

Is it a good starting point with room to move on to better things as I progress?

Many thanks for your advise

Derek Peters.

Reply to
Derek Peters

It actually sounds quite good at the moment, particularly as they have just put the price up to =A3850 on their website without the stand. I had the slightly longer bed version of this one (DB10-G) which would have been ideal but sadly was let down by very poor quality. And I don't mean paint chips or cheese steel fasteners or simple work-around fixes. However, others including this chap here

have been very happy with what they have got. They appear to use different factories to supply the same item, and I think it can be a bit of a lottery as to how good or bad they can be.

After saying that, I now have an old Myford which needs a new leadscrew and a better motor and has 40 years of wear on it and will probably need a bed grind, and I dont think this will perform anywhere near as well as a new DB8 in its present condition, but it cost me nothing and I'm having as much fun rehabilitating it as I will using it. In summary I think its a bargain price for the lathe with the package you get, and would be ideal to start on, although you may want somehing bigger as time goes on. HTH

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

It actually sounds quite good at the moment, particularly as they have just put the price up to £850 on their website without the stand. I had the slightly longer bed version of this one (DB10-G) which would have been ideal but sadly was let down by very poor quality. And I don't mean paint chips or cheese steel fasteners or simple work-around fixes

These are on eBAY (Chester shop) at £495 but they have dropped the steadies, faceplate and four jaw chuck from the package.

Steve

Reply to
Steve