Please see:for reference to this post.
I found this "box" that my great-grandfather used to own. It has three wires. I decided to hook up 12 volts to it because I remember my grandfather saying it used to operate off a car battery.
Well, I fired it up and it was throwing a good strong one inch spark! Any metal placed near it would glow with a very faint blue (probably up to a half foot away).
As you can see in the pictures, it made a 120 volt neon tester glow from over 5-6 inches away.
The 12 volts was supplied by a transformer that was plugged into the mains (120 volts).
A few questions:
What is this "box?"
How could it cause the voltage probe to light up without any physical connections or sparks jumping to the metal? The probe wasn't even grounded to anything -- it was just laying on the desk.
How many volts does this thing appear to be producing? A rough guesstimate is fine.