What is this thing?

found it in the free box at a metal working tools
sale. Price was right ;-0
What can I do with it?
Thanks, mike
Reply to
mike
well, whatever it is, that site won't show me the picture - maybe it's an incorrectly coded JPEG
Reply to
Bill Noble
Interesting... Works for me. I have to scroll up to the top of the page to see it tho. mike
Reply to
mike
picture does not show.
Reply to
Ignoramus3537
ok, so help me debug this. Should be a webpage with the label "Pictures" Two lines of text and the image. What do you see? Which browser are you using? page filters? blockers?
Here's an alternate:
mike
I see the same thing, sans image.
Reply to
Ignoramus3537
I can't see it either with Firefox and Adblocker. I turned off several things and it still won't appear. The frame for the image is there and some sort of a "broken image" icon.
Reply to
DT
Ok thanks. had the thing linked to my home machine instead of tripod. Should work now. May have to reload the page to flush the cache.
So, what is this thing? thanks, mike
Reply to
mike
Works ok for me - no idea what it is.
Screwing the middle part in/out spreads the 3 leaves? Some sort of reamer - but the leaves are curved?????? Maybe its a proctologists reboring tool.
Reply to
kelly
'Dunno, but it's a cool thing, whatever it is.
It looks like some kind of through-hole or blind-hole clamp, that's made to expand in a hole as the center portion is driven into it. Can you think of any holes it might fit into?
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Looks like an xpander for some sort of tubing, based on the mass of the threads.shaft and size of the fingers
Cant expand all that far, but it does expand a fair amount. Exhaust system tubing?
Gunner
One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch
Reply to
Gunner Asch
The pointy ends are extremely sharp. thought it might be some kind of end cutter. But there's no obvious way to operate it. It's knurled suggesting hand operation, but you'd have to be mighty steady to do anything useful like that.
There's a "knob" on the back end that unscrews. Permanently affixed is a drill bit. And there's a hole cross-drilled in the bit near the tip. Put another pix at the link
Keeps getting curiouser and curiouser...
Reply to
mike
I was beginning to think "dent remover" for tubing until I saw that drill bit. That is a weird one, all right.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:52:06 -0700, mike wrote the following:
That's a Victorian era gonorrhea drill for men. It hurts just to look at it. =:0
Reply to
Larry Jaques
You should take some clear pictures that show both ends and another pic of the overall appearance with something common in the picture for scale (a 6" rule, for example).
As a further step in your quest, email Rob H, the guy that posts weekly "What Is It" puzzle posts here in RCM (and elsewhere) generally, every Thursday morning.
Metal parts can be somewhat difficult to take clear pics of, particularly if one is only using the camera's flash for lighting. I've found that sunlight/daylight compact fluorescent lamps (~5000+ degrees Kelvin) are very helpful for photo lighting.
Reply to
Wild_Bill
That is an adjustable reamer for smoking pipes.
Paul K. Dickman
Reply to
Paul K. Dickman
Give that man a cigar ;-)
Reply to
rangerssuck
"Paul K. Dickman" on Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:35:00 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Give the man a ... well, a pipe.
And the hole in the drill bit would make it "easier" to attach a swab - aka "pipe cleaner" (but that's ... hmmm, the whole thing is "over engineered" for the task, but "so what?" "I have this nifty gadget, and you don't.")
tschus pyotr

>> What is this thing? >>
I found it in the free box at a metal working tools >> sale. Price was right ;-0 >> What can I do with it? >> Thanks, mike >
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
Take a picture of the whole thing, not just a part of it.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Danniken
I can sleep soundly tonight. Thank you,