What is this thing?

The link:

or

is to a photo, circa 1940s, of a sign outside what was then called the Lockheed Air Terminal, now called Hollywood Burbank Airport and also known as Bob Hope Airport. The sign is for the Sky Room Cafe, which was in the second level of the airport control tower. The tower caught fire in 1966 and the restaurant was destroyed and never reopened.

To the right of the sign pole is a shorter, dark tube with what looks a baffle at the top. What is that? I still see those from time to time, although right now I can't remember where I've seen one lately.

Reply to
Rudy Canoza

It looks like some kind of pipeline vent, but I've never seen one that looks quite like that.

Reply to
edhuntress2

Might be WAY out in left field, but it looks like a stacked multi-element siren on the top of a post - or possibly a pagoda post light (like this - MXB1BLK - google it)

Reply to
clare

Also known as a "bollard light" The more I look at it - - - -

Reply to
clare