What is wrong with this picture?

You can see a bigger version at Image 16 of the slideshow.

I know the SU-27 is big, but surely it can't be *that* big?

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Yep, the engines look as though they'd not fit the cargo plane in the foreground. Perspective can be deceptive with some high magnification zoom lenses. This might be the case here.

Still, they are a big plane.

Most people underestimate the size of modern jet fighters. Lots of people are surprised by the size of an F-111 when they finally stand near one.

Reply to
The Raven

The plane in the foreground doesn't bother me- it is a small cargo plane. The plane in the background is the one that bothers me- the high wing twin. It is just possible the Su is between the two cargo planes, but that would be a fantastic coincidence that the wing contours of the two planes happen to have a co-linear line.

If I give the picture the benefit of the doubt, then indeed it is just beyond the twin in the foreground, the people are under the wing or just by the nose of that twin. Then the crashing Su, and the other twin, facing us, is beyond the crash.

Yes, the Su is a large airplane, and based on the people near it, the cargo twin in the foreground is a small cargo plane, not 133 size.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

At an air museum in Arizona I was surprised as to just how small the Me109 was, and how damn big the P-47 was.

I've seen a pic of a crew standing under a Lancaster. Cockpit looks around 30 feet of the ground. The camera can play tricks..

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

"Enzo Matrix" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@a26g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...

Yes, it can be! There's nothing wrong. :o) If you compare its wingspan to the plane on the right (I think it is an Antonov 26) the Flanker is half of it. Wikipedia says that the An-26 has a 29,2 m wingspan, while the Su 27 is 14,7 m. :o) Note the exhaust nozzles, compare them to the crowd. This is a picture I took:

Paris Airshow 2005...good times! :o)

Frankie

Reply to
Venerabile Frakkia

the sterling cockpit can look like it's 100 feet high.

Reply to
someone

what's wrong with this picture ?

The plane landed on its nose.

Reply to
Musicman59

?v=-g84F1Y_8HU&feature=related

Brutal. Killed around 84 and wounded even more.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

A similar comparison is an F-16 and F-15.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

...I got to stand in the engine bay of an F-1 once...came in in an emergency, and they had to swap motors out...first thing that came to my mind was "where do they put the gas?"..thing is tiny. Only thing I could think of smaller would be an F-5 or T-38. Even QF-86s seemed like something of size in comparison.

Reply to
Rufus

did they add any chrome? (g)

Reply to
someone

...on the QF-86s...sort of...

Reply to
Rufus

have you put more on either of your beasts? i did a clean and metal case polish on the red stocker. it looks very tidy for a 31 year old bike. sounds like the one you saw, the hot rod, so i'm pleased. can't let the v-twin boys make all the thunder and lightning. can't wait for riding season to resume. think you can fit a v-ville trip in there?

Reply to
someone

...naw, I've left them both as is for now. Just got home from yet ANOTHER memorial for a another friend that's been taken by cancer. And now for some reason I'm dog-tired. He was an Iron Butt rider, and a retired Navy Master Chief.

Last night I met a friend of another friend, and as it turns out she also has Crohn's but has been dealing with it since her teens - her disease is in her upper gut, vise mine in my lower. I dunno which one of use was more glad to be able to talk to someone else that actually knew what we were talking about. Maybe I stayed out too late last night talking...but I'm sort of beat now.

Somethings on fire BIG time a bit west of here - it's smoke-overcast so much I can't see the sky, and all orange everywhere. And you can smell the fire...

Reply to
Rufus

my sympathys there with you. i can't say anything that won't sound hackyned and cliched, but i am here, ok?

Reply to
someone

That, I know...

After a look, turns out our hills aren't burning - we're being smothered with smoke from all the LA county fires...and I hear they've bloomed further overnight. Moon was glowing orange even at midnight last night.

Reply to
Rufus