CONTEST - what was wrong with this motor?

What was wrong with that motor? No guess is too stupid to be true (take this as a hint). Answer will be posted in the morning. Winner will receive a free small piece of A2 tool steel, free shipping.

Ignoramus26960

Wires screwed to terminals without removing insulation?

D-cell battery in place of starting cap?

Reply to
anorton

no

no

But something even more monumentally stupid.

Ignoramus26960

Wires either not connected to anything or all connected to the same terminal inside?

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Am I warm about the starting cap being replaced by something strange? Was it a relay in an aluminum can? A tiny electrolytic capacitor? a can of red bull?

If not, then they must have plugged the ventillation holes to keep the dust out.

Reply to
anorton

2 HP, 220-volt, FLA 120? That motor must need one hell of a radiator!
Reply to
Don Foreman

My guess on the motor is a broken wire. But the ebay ad would scare me away from this buyer, therefore, I think the ad is the thing that is wrong with the motor. "Comes from a non-smoking household?" He's kidding, right?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ignoramus26960 wrote in news:TrydnVB0PdsZmBvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The seller tried to run it on 120V.

Reply to
RAM³

Burned out, frozen solid, bent shaft? It doesn't look like it spent a year underwater in NOLA.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Everyone had great guesses on dumb things that a motor owner could do or overlook.

Unfortunately, no one guessed right.

The motor was "not running" because the reset button on it was in a popped position.

What was "wrong" with the motor was that the RESET button on the motor needed to be pressed. Once I pressed the RESET button, the motor ran like a champ.

Ignoramus2215

Who got the piece of steel?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK, here are a few stupid ones:

- nothing at all

- wiring harness not connected to motor

- blown start cap

- connected to a 120V supply

Reply to
Doug Miller

I already posted the answer. "Nothing at all" is the closest answer. It had a RESET button that needed to be pressed.

Ignoramus2215

I can believe that, I was once given a delta radial arm saw because the reset button needed pressing.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

ROTFLMAO

Such people usually say "I am not an electrician".

Ignoramus2215

I was looking at an all aluminum pneumatic pogo stick at a yard sale, wondering if it was cheap enough, was it worth buying for the material. I was told it was a freebie because it didn't work anymore, and that certainly made it worth taking home. But once home, I couldn't resist pumping up the air chamber. That's all that was wrong with it, either it leaked down or someone bled the air. My kids had a lot of fun with it...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Ignoramus2215 wrote in news:3oadnaHaArcY8RvWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Why had it popped?

That's what "the problem" was...

Reply to
RAM³

Does this mean you bought a motor listed as dead?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yes.

Ignoramus2215

10 bucks, okay, but 24 bucks shipping hoping for a lucky break. Was this a local pick up item? I'm trying to figure out how clairvoyant you are when bidding.

Wes

Wes