anyone have a clue what this pump was used with?

Still going through stuff pulled from a storage container - this is a brass (bronze?) lubricating pump - a gear type pump. Inlet and outlet are 3/8 NPT, the drive shaft is 5/8 inch, the only markings are the word "CALIFORNIA" cast into the back of the pump. Mounting holes are

2 3/4 inches on center, .45 inches in diameter (probably mounted with 3/8 bolts). the shaft protrudes 2 inches from the pump body. There is a coupler on the end of the shaft marked "MAUREY FC-070 CHICAGO" on the end of the shaft. The back of the pump is held to the front of the pump with 8 round head slotted brass screws.

Any clues, anyone? if you need a photo, just let me know, I can put one on my web site or something.

thanks Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

***

Reply to
RoyJ

ok, I've added a picture on my web page,

Click on "for sale" - it's the last picture at the bottom of the page where the legend says "gear pump for ...."

thanks for looking and offering an opinion.

*** Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

I have seen them used to pump water on street cleaners. Gear type positive displacement. Washes the dirt off the road OK.

Reply to
Richard W.

These pumps were used on sprayers at one time for applying herbicides. They got replaced with roller pumps because herbicide solutions don't provide any librication. Gear pumps didn't last very long when run at

3600 rpm pumping water. The fact that it is no longer attached to any equipment is a strong indication that it is worn out. The other half of the coupler is most likely attached to a 7-8 hp engine.

***

***

Reply to
Speechless

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

This type of pump is very good for pumping lubricating oil to various parts of a large machinery. When I was in the Navy I remember a similar one used in the lubrication system of an aircraft catapult to spray oil into the power cylinder right before every shot and retraction of the power piston.

Reply to
<1577_Ar23

It might be good as a pump for a TIG water cooler.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Indeed, it looks like a carbonator pump, I have a similar one on my homemade tig water cooler.

***

***

Reply to
Ignoramus3754

some more info - this pump was not pumping water - it smells of lubricating oil, and does not have the corrosion smell of brass that has had a lot of water in it, nor an insecticide smell - I am sure it came off a large tool, probably a mill, I'm just hoping someone can recognize it so I can say what it fits and get it to a good home. Otherwise, it becomes scrap brass, and that's a real waste when someone probably has the machine that needs this.

bill

Bill

to contact me, do not reply to this message, instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

***
Reply to
William B Noble (don't reply t

I've listed this pump on e-bay now, with a starting $5 bid - here is the link

I'm sure one of you fine folks have a good use for this pump.