CONTEST - what was wrong with this motor?

local pick up

It was 20 bucks shipping to me.

My reasoning to buy it was as follows.

1) The seller has great feedback. This means, without question, that he is an honest person. Dishonest people do not have such feedback. 2) The seller did not know what was wrong with the motor. This means that he knew that it did not "burn out". 3) He clearly had no clue what is wrong with it. This means that it is likely something very simple. 4) If he said something like "probably a bad capacitor", likely it would mean that he is lying, since if it was true he would know how to fix it himself. 5) It is very risky to buy things at a high price because they can be bad. Think of all the clapped out lathes on ebay, where the seller would say something like "X swing, Y HP, power feed". Obviously he is hiding something but wants to make $$$. If someone is selling some item with known problems for a very small amount of $$$, you can be sure there is no profit motive to lie and cheat. 1x

A buyer is coming today to pick it up. I was not very greedy, the buyer is getting a great deal, but let's just say I made some $$$ and has 3 minutes of fun getting it "fixed".

Ignoramus2215

My sister gave me a 5,000 watt Coleman generator one time, that only ran for a couple seconds at a time. I quietly said thank you, and drove off with it.

Contest: Someone tell me what was wrong with the generator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Beats landfilling it. Good save.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Michael Koblic

It was simple, but that's not the correct answer.

England, nover been, and don't know much about thier appliances. Was it made by Lucas Electric?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in news:hma1v4$i6g$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

hint-- there's a fuse in the plug, too.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If it wasn't out of gas, it sounds like something was obstructing the main jet or plugging the fuel line to the carb.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Give the man a cigar!

Reply to
Michael Koblic

The first things to check: Fuel valve open all the way. Manual Choke not set to full. Make sure it has crankcase oil, so it isn't the Low Oil Shutdown triggering after the time delay...

That one's easy - blown fuse in the appliance plug, or inside the receptacle covering that outlet only - Aren't Ring Mains wonderful?

You'd think they could install pilot lights - light out, check fuse.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman