What is wrong with this picture???

WTF???
What is wrong with the welding picture?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/rebound-in-construction-hiring-offers-hope-for-economy/2013/01/04/bb112028-5692-11e2-8b9e-dd8773594efc_story.html?hpid=z1

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:41:58 -0600, Ignoramus15934

Other than he is going to have skin cancer in a few years...
??
Gunner

UV from tig is much worse than from stick, if my own experience is any indication -- don't know about mig. And which is proly correck -- cuz the lens for tig is considerably darker than for stick, as well, proly for the UV. Sumpn newbies should keep in mind.
I got burned so bad from tig -- in a tig CLASS no less -- I coulda proly sued the school. Dat burn (hands, arms) lasted for WEEKS, very very painful. However, the rest of me is deteriorating "on schedule", so any ill-effects from that burn will proly just blend in.... LOL
--
EA

> --

As far as UV radiation is concerned, amp for amp, MIG has the highest output since there is no smoke to block any of the arc. Stick is second, and is about the same as Dual-shield or Inner-shield wire. TIG has the lowest UV content, with more visible white light being generated by the excitation of the Argon gas. TIG welding with Helium produces less white light, but more UV.
The problem with TIG is that you are often welding on shiny aluminum or stainless steel, which means lots of reflected arc radiation on unprotected areas, and often people are only wearing long sleeve shirts, thinking they block the arc. Try holding some shirts up to a light bulb and you will be amazed at how much light comes through some fabrics.
I taught welding for 16 years, and dealt with many students sun-burn and arc flash because they underestimated what UV can do.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/rebound-in-construction-hiring-offers- hope-for-economy/2013/01/04/bb112028-5692-11e2-8b9e-dd8773594efc_story.html?hpid=z1
Looks painful. The behavior should be self-correcting, though: next day, Bubba probably said to himself "Dayum! Guess Ah shoulda worn gloves!"
On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:41:58 -0600, Ignoramus15934

Probably nothing. You're jumping to conclusions. The picture is highly likely to have been posed and therefore not representative of anything. Nevertheless it wouldn't be an uncommon scene in a real shop. The door is open so the space may be warm, with most fabricating, including light tacking, done in the lightest clothing and workers only suiting up for sustained work. Yeah I know the safety weenies will scream like banshees but that won't have any affect on reality. And I guarantee you, if some pictures of work being done at your shop were taken at the right time, the same safety weenies would have a field day jumping to their own conclusions. The reality is that a lot of what's considered sensible safety practice can be considered life threatening by those whose jobs depend on them condemning every little thing. If you get a herd of them in your place, look out. They'll start with the refill dates on your fire extingishers and end with the missing safety warnings on your toilet flush handles. In between... well, ask existential angst to explain that part.

Ah. Nothing like health advice from the sage crackpot who's been consuming copious amounts of nicotine and soda daily even after multiple infusions of life saving care paid for by others. Yes, you probably wear sleeves to keep warm while sitting there typing out stories about the huge amount of welding that you obviously don't actually do. And for making excuses about welding you'll never get to because there's some catshit in the way.

Iggy is intelligent. Adult education can be a good thing for welding, but certainly not necessary. Learning how to weld is mostly practice. Typiical adult class has one teacher and maybe 30 students. Which means in a three hour class the instructor has about 6 minutes per student. The rest of the three hours is practice, practice, practice and could be done at home.
When i decided to learn to TIG weld, I took a votec class in the evenings. The class had about 20 to 25 people doing stick and wanting to get certified so they could get a job in the ship yard. There was another 12 to 15 people learning to gas weld for hobby work. And there were three of us learning TIG. I remember the first night the instructor did not get to those learning TIG during the first two and a half hours. By then we had figured out how to set up the machines and had been welding . I expect during the entire class, I got maybe an hour of instuction. But being over 60 the class cost me about ten dollars , so the real advantage was using the schools argon, rods and electricity. And knowing that I could TIG weld before buying a TIG welder.
Dan

I actually took a welding class a few years ago.
It was highly useful.

But learning to weld is still mostly practice. An instructor only need a couple of minutes to show the right way to weld. Searning the skills to do it right take much longer.

BFD.
Dan

    And a nasty "sun burn" this afternoon? Newbies.
--
pyotr filipivich
Question for the gun Control advocates, "Do you agree with

Regardless of what the operator is doing, he should not have skin exposed to the light from the arc. If he is just tacking things in place using a MIG welder, he will be older when he gets skin cancer.
Dan

Dumbass, what is wrong is that the weldor is not wearing protective clothing and will get a skin burn.

Exactly.
On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 17:31:35 -0600, Ignoramus32174

How long did it take? Oh right, you guys don't need to know because even a second would burn, just like a second in the sun burns I guess.

Even if he could know the exposure time, I doubt that a knowledgeable doctor would be as certain as the two of you. Seriously anal. Anyway karma's a bitch. If somewhere down the road I see you complaining that OSHA and some of her tentacles showed up and gave you an undeserved reaming worthy of one of Existential Angst's colorful narratives, don't expect any sympathy.
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Can I just do it till I need glasses?
Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 17:12:25 -0700, "Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke"

Eyesight degradation is caused by a different type of stinger manipulation.

Same applies to suntanning.

Going back to the original picture, welding by an employee not wearing protective gear is a violation of work safety rules and I am shocked that a newspaper was allowed to photograph that.

Jennifer Beals said that she liked welding and got pretty good at it, so she was upset and resisted when the director told her to make lots of sparks. Flashdance was on TV recently and she both welds smoothly and pecks at the work to make sparks.
Bruckheimer is the also director who made such a mess of history in Pearl Harbor.

Marine Jahan