Filling a 20 liter CO2 tank for soda

A while ago, we bought a Sodastream soda machine. We were happy for a while, until the sticker shock of replacing their tanks with a custom
connector.
To avoid paying for that, I acquired a 20 lb CO2 tank that was attached to a Coke machine, so it is food grade etc. I bought an adapter for CGA 320 that fits Sodastream.
All good and dandy and everything forks just great.
The question now is, where to fill the tank. I guess that I can go to airgas, but it is not that close, neither to me, nor to my work. Any other alternatives?
Also, is there such a thing as food grade co2? Or can I get welding co2?

Check places that refill fire extinguishers.
Robert
Do you have a local Coke distributor ? Maybe a liquor store that rents coke boxes as well as beer barrels ?
Coke and others - swap / lease bottles.
The gas comes from pure - e.g. doesn't have gasoline smell in it - the capture station is kept in a food grade area.
Think of oxygen / nitrogen mix for scuba diving - has to be food grade.
Semiconductor is a grade higher than that - but is expensive.
When I was at a semi house - we generated our own Hydrogen, oxygen, and Nitrogen was pumped down the street like water and gas. All of the buildings used it - and that is how Nitrogen was sent.
Martin
On 1/4/2013 8:18 PM, Ignoramus15934 wrote:

Unless you're so far out in the boonies that you have no routine welding gas deliveries in your area, you could just get it exchanged on one of their regular routes. They might not stop at your place, since you're not a regular customer, but you could leave it off at some place that is on their stop ticket -- like the local NAPA parts store.
CO2 is CO2. They normally require that all their gasses be pure and oil/moisture free. Welding is even more fussy about impurities than the human body.
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> writes:

Funny story on such. Aviation-sold O2 is many times the $$ from welding supply sources. Yet the welding grade has a tighter spec for the #1 foe, moisture. [You do NOT want your breathing mask regulator freezing up.]
The usual gang of suspects howled over this until a smart pilot got a letter from the FAA admitting there was not Regulation requiring O2 come from X, Y or Z; just that it met spec.

The CO2 is only one part of the equation. I'd kinda like my food-grade CO2 to be filled with a hose that hasn't been laying on the ground on the loading dock for decades. And I'd like to believe that the tank hasn't previously been filled with who-knows-what in some science experiment down at the virus research lab.

I cant think of any bugs that can live in a 100% co2 atmosphere at 350psi.
Can you?
Gunner
On 1/5/2013 5:07 AM, Gunner wrote:

I find your narrow view of the world entertaining. The stuff you can think of is not the stuff most likely to cause you grief. Just cause YOU can't think of a problem gives me little comfort.
Perhaps you just didn't think of the stuff that got stuck in the little grooves at the mating face...or behind the seal gasket or on the hands of the guy who was cleaning out the monkey cages and loading CO2 tanks on the cart...or...
So, go ahead and do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
I'm gonna at least try to avoid the stoner on the loading dock at the welding place when purchasing pop fizzer.

Tsk tsk tsk...so you are worried about cooties in your CO2..yet if its in the seals...its not in your CO2 is it? And if its in the Co2 at 350psi...its going to live and thrive?
Say..you arent suffering from Anal Retentiveness are you? Are you one of those people when they drop a fork at a restaurant...demand another one? Because its now covered with cooties? Simply wiping it off with your napkin wont do it...Coooties!!!!
Shit dude..Ill bet you have an immune system like a piece of "shatterglass"
Are you one of those people that runs around with a filtermask and a bottle of bleach to "disinfect" everything around you?
Sure sounds like it.
And your hatred of stoners is hysterically funny. Why would you hate them? They are your complete opposite..maybe thats why.
Gunner
Gunner
On 1/5/2013 9:19 AM, Gunner wrote:

Hate??? Jump to conclusions much?

Hatred, contempt, derision..whatever makes you decide not to deal with that "stoner" at the welding shop.
Its like me..I really dont "hate" leftwingers. I simply hold them in deep contempt. They bother me when Im around them. Like suddenly finding dog shit stuck to the bottom of my shoe. Its a pain in the ass to have to take the time to scrape it off the treads.
Now about those "monkey cages"...snicker....
Gunner

Most any welding suply house will fill and / or exchange--commonly used for carbonating home brewed beer also.
Ignoramus15934 wrote:

Yes there is a BIG difference between beverage grade and industrial grade. Has to do with how it is filtered and what equipment is used to fill the tank. With industrial gas they will hook up and start filling. It is possible that the tank filled just prior was a gas blend and some of that will still be in the gear. The filtering is also important because the gas could also have other contaminants.
http://www.draughtquality.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/CO2PurityISBT.pdf
--
Steve W.

That doesn't mean that the big gas outfits don't refill beverage tanks. Our local Air Liquide does. We use a lot of them on confetti shots. We _can_ (don't usually) go through a whole tank in less than a minute, feeding liquid. All of them are beverage canisters, and all refilled at the same spot.
And yes, the local Coke distributor fills them, too. 'Bet they buy their bulk gas from Air Liquide or Airgas... <G>
LLoyd
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Many of the big outfits do fill beverage grade. BUT you have to be sure it IS beverage grade gas and not industrial grade.
--
Steve W.

Do you really believe that the big outfits have two sets of equipment? One for welding grade and another for beverage grade.
Dan

I know for a certainty that ours doesn't, and since it's a "corporate thing", I'm betting every one of their outlets in the country is the same.
AFAIK, their CO2 comes out of its own pipe, from its own tank, and its own hoses. They don't pump acetylene through the same hose.
And why the hell would I be afraid of some argon or helium in my Coke, anyway?
Lloyd
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 14:28:49 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Nope..they certainly dont. And I go to Airgas and Praxairs filling locations.
Shrug
Gunner

Years ago we were building a gas processing plant for a field that had considerable CO2 and a German company came to us to see about buying the CO2, that to us was waste. During meetings the German representative used the term "food grade" and talked about marketing to the soft drink makers.
--
Cheers,

John B.
>Soda is mixed from isolated ingredients

I agree. Beer is much better. Soda is like love in a canoe.
Dan