minor gloat CO2 tank

Yesterday my wife was working so I had to take my visiting sister-in-law to the hair dresser. And then went on to the local scrap yard. There I pick ed up a handful of swarf. Not any old swarf, but some stainless 316 swarf that was lathe turnings about a foot long. Nice looking chips, tightly cur led. I had shown my wife some earlier and she wanted more to use in decora ting a Christmas tree next December. It will be one of the Christmas trees at the Nemours Mansion. Such is married life.

But while surveying what was at the scrap yard, I saw an aluminum 20 lb CO2 tank. Took a little effort to get to it, but I managed.

The stainless sward, the tank and a little hobby vise weighted 29 lbs. And they charged me $30 for the lot. The price for aluminum is $1 / lb. So t hey slightly overcharged me. But considering how often they have not charg ed me anything for stuff, ZI think I am way ahead.

So I took the tank to the same welding supply supply whose name was on the tank label. and paid $29 to exchange it for a full tank. $25 for the gas and $4 hasmat fee. The tank I got was dark blue with some spray painted la rge letters on it. So I painted it a nice green with a rattle can.

If I needed a CO2 tank, it would have been a major gloat. But I already ha d one tank with my mig welder and another in the basement with a regulator and short hose on it. The hose has a tire inflator adapter on it. I have some plastic soda bottle with a tire stem in the cap. So I can make sparkl ing water. So this tank may go to my son and his grand children.

Yes this in not really on topic, except for the part about using swarf for Christmas decorations,

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, but the curls have me concerned. Those suckers are SHARP! And you're going to put this on a Christmas tree in a CHILD medical care facility?

Man! Be careful! (not of you, but of how many kids amputate fingers on that stuff!)

LS

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I had the same thought. Reminds me of Dan Aykroyd on SNL with the "Bag O' Glass" skit.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Well first it is not in a child care facility. It will be in the Mansion t hat Alfred Du Pont built near the Childrens Hospital. And displayed in a r oom with a guide there to see that people behave and do not touch the ant ique ornaments on the tree ( or steal them ).

Second they curls must have been done on a lathe with a lot of horse power. They are fairly thick. I pulled them out of a 55 gallon drum using my ba re hands and sufered no cuts. My wife and sister-in-law have also handled them with their bare hands and had no cuts. So while I wouldn't want to ju mp in a pile of them while naked, they are not all that sharp.

But it is a reasonable warning. If they wore thinner sharper chips I would not have brought any home.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Good to know! I have a child who was benefitted by Nemours, and I know they're 'careful', but you can never be 'too careful' around kids!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I believe you can not be too careful around kids about thing that can cause serious injury. But you should let them do things that will cause them pain. Like hit their finger when holding a nail to start it.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Ayup! My own kids (including the CP'd disabled son) have ALL had the opportunities to 'bang their fingers'.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Dan, I have a CO2 tank at home hooked up to a SodaStream carbonated water dispenser via a custom adapter hose. (and the same thing at work). These tanks last essentially forever on a single charge. I highly recommend that route, it is far cheaper than the sodastream ripoff tanks.

Ignoramus2914

What I have is just a CO2 tank with regulator and a short hose from the regulator to a tire chuck. And some 2 liter plastic soda bottles with a ho le in the cap and a tire stem inserted. So it takes a little effort. Fill the soda bottle almost full with water. Open the valve . The regulator i s all ready set to 39 psi. Charge the bottle with CO2. Charge more bottle s, shut off CO2 tank. Come back later and repeat charging the bottles wit h gas. THe CO2 disolves in the water and the bottles become soft.

If I run across a regular set up for soda water or beer at the scrap yard, I will buy it. But I do not drink enough soda to justify buying new equipm ent.

But here is something that I do. I buy ground ginger at the Indian Market. and put some of the ginger powder in the coffee maker and proceed is if m aking coffee. Then add sugar to taste and carbonate the result. Ginger Al e has a few other things in it, but this does make a nice refreshing drink.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I also have the CO2 tank-with tire-chuck and bottle-cap-with-Schraeder

-valve setup.

I've also made oxygenated water, same setup but with oxygen rather than CO2. Put oxygenated water in minnow bucket. Result: combat ninja minnows. "SHOW ME A WALLEYE, BRING IT ON, EAAYAHHHH!" They don't last long, but they sure are active until they burn out.

Reply to
Don Foreman

sounds pretty economical.

I do not drink soda, only carbonated water.

Ignoramus2914

Ditto the concern, plus his wife might be liable for the medical fees associated with the sliced up kids. Tinsel is a lot cheaper all the way around.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

First slight correction. The regulator is set to 30 psi Not 39 psi.

You are in some good company. My wife works at the Nemours Mansion. Alfre d Du Pont thought like a bunch of us here. The Mansion has two furnaces. And two electric generators. He believed in having full backup. He also ha d a set up to make carbonated water. I do not remember if it was two comp lete systems or not. But it had its own room with 220 cu foot CO2 cylinder s and a bottle washing station.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thanks for the idea. Will have to try that.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

HUH? We're talking about the man's wife putting it on a public Christmas tree which many kids will be around. He bought the swarf at a scrap yard. School and machinery aren't even in the picture.

Think hard about what you just proclaimed....

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Gunner, you're WAY off-base with this. I completely agree that kids aren't taught to work with their hands, and that it's a disaster for our country and society. But THIS isn't about obeying, or learning, or manual skills.

Most of the kids in a Nemours facility are little ones. Kids like to touch things. In fact, that very curiousity is _part_of_ the skill set you claim they don't have. The tendency of little ones to touch, feel, tug, pull, and remove shiny things is the 'natural' beginning of technical competency.

He confirmed that the kids WON'T be in a position to touch this particular tree, so I don't see a lot of problems with using curls (or even det-cord) for decorations, as long as it can't endanger any LITTLE KIDS.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

We were on different focal lengths. Yes, it's scary to think how vulnerable we've become due to short-sighted PC thinking. When our manufacturing and repair base is completely gone, we're done. Student focus in schools is on huge paychecks, while the schools care nothing as to the viability of their output. Schools see that there are too many students applying for the same few jobs yet they don't try to influence the kids to choose another line of work, one which would instantly snap them up after college. Tell me that's not a conflict of interest. But the Gods of PC rule with an iron limp wrist, I mean fist. They teach 4th graders how to put on a condom while no longer teaching boys to be men. Thank Crom there are small clusters of people (parents, teachers, and kids) who still care. Carpe diem, dudes and dudettes!

That I have. I can't believe it has been 45 years since high school,

43 since automotive tech school, and 31 since electronics tech school. But I learn something new daily: here, on other Internet sites, and through reading 100 books annually.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Damn, I wish we'd had det-cord when I went to school!

So, is a metal mesh stent in your future?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's good.

So stop killing yourself and file for early Social Security, which you've been paying into for the last 40 odd years. I may not have much money, but I have enough, and getting away from the really hard work has done me lots of good. I got out before it killed me. Please consider doing so yourself, for the same reason, my friend.

Holy Shit, Batman! Will they be doing an R&R job, or do they expect for you to just roll over and die from it? If it doesn't kill you, that might be the "easy" road to disability income. _That_ would suck, wot?

Gunner, smoking is a simple choice. You choose either -to- smoke, or

-not- to smoke. Make the decision. Smell like a dirty ashtray to everyone you meet, or don't. The choice is up to you. I'm living proof it can be done. I stink purty!

Dayum, are you a marathon runner, too? Low BP and pulse rates are common to long distance runners.

Jewelcome, buddy.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL No. You're the opposite. A patient who self medicates with nicotine and caffeine no matter who tells you how stupid that is, and no matter how much it costs you for the cigarettes and soda, and no matter how much it costs taxpayers to deal with the fallout.

Time to be proactive and organize a new cull pep squad.

No.

No. Your results are, predictably, below average.

You'll give up, as always. The only question is who you'll blame it on. Probably Clinton.

Reply to
That's What's Up