Welding 303 with 316 rod?

Greetings All, It looks like a customer ordered the wrong material. 304 should have been used but 303 was ordered. 303 will stand up fine as far as corrosion but I'm not sure about strength and what rod to use. The parts make a T handle with the horizontal member being about 12 inches long. Only needs to be able to handle as much torque as the average

40 year old man could put on it. The guy doing the welding has 316 filler but no 312 as Ernie suggested in a 2011 post of his I read today. Will 316 bo OK? do I need to tell the welder to get some 312? And if no cracking is present and the HAZ passivated just how weak will the weld be compared to 304? 40% as strong? Less? Thanks, Eric
Reply to
etpm

The problem is micro-fracturing that propagates over time. You would be better off TIG brazing or silver soldering.

A high nickel content filler is what you want, and minimal mixing of the base metals (dissolution). Aerospace alloys like Inconel 625, or Hastelloy X or W, would be my first choices. The dissimilar alloy SS fillers such as 309 or 312 are a second choice.

309 is fairly common at welding stores.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie, I think on Monday I'll call the customer and have him order the correct material. Eric

Reply to
etpm