Fanul, Fadal Haas Controls - what is up with this?

This is probably a stupid question, but what is the big deal on the different controllers?
I ask this because I'm seeing ads for machines "must know Fanuc" Or
Haas. Or Fadal controls. And to tell you the truth, I can't remember what the controls were, at the last place I worked at, and I was there three years. "Yeh, it was a touch screen" with knobs. (I like the ones with knobs, you can "see" the settings from across the room - well, across the bench.)
Keeps reminding me of a friends experience going for Librarian jobs. Apparently librarians aren't too clear on the concept of"transferable skills", so because she hadn't trained on their particular software package, they thought she wouldn't be able to work on their system. {This is part two of why she went into computer science "There has got to be a better way!"}
    So is there a sense in some shops that if you didn't take the class on HAAS controls, they don't expect you to be able to figure out how to use a HAAS control? Fnord, we had three different controllers, and every time I got switched round, I'd have to spend a few minute re-familiarizing myself with "Now, how do I enter a program into one of these?" etc. (There's a reason I keep a notebook - and why I kept it when I left... )
alright, it is way too late, I should have been asleep three hours ago.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich wrote:

To me, a Fanuc control is like a clarinet. If you can play a clarinet you can play any other woodwind musical instrument. If you're proficient with a Fanuc you shouldn't have any trouble running anything else.
Then there are the igits from the political and kook newsgroups who play a mean meat whistle, but that's something else entirely.
HTH
--
Black Dragon

Hanlon's Razor:
Black Dragon wrote:

Well, I disagree. Try running a Tosnuc(Toshiba), or Fidia. They are different on every level IMHO. Especially Fidia.

Steve Mackay wrote:

The Sharnoa Tiger is way different than anything else I've ever used. If I was weaned on that Tiger a Fanuc would be pure hell to learn. I had no problem the other way around.
YMMV.
--
Black Dragon

It does not matter if you fall down as long as you pick
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 02:42:43 -0800, pyotr filipivich

------------- This appears to be another area where an enforced "standard" is desperately needed.
At least one standard already exists [ISO/DIN] [ISO 6983, 66025 & 14649 for controllers, but no one seems to implement it 100%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code
What's our money players take on a governmental requirement that all new CNC machines/controllers sold in the US as of some cut-off date must adhere to the ISO or other standard, and if a program runs on an ISO controller it must run on the new controller, unless the machine has non-standard/ 1-off features [and then only for those features].
This has already been done for automatic transmission shift patterns [PRNDL] and mandating left side shift levers for motorcycles, with entirely satisfactory results.
Anyone got a guess on how many thousands [millions?] of man-hours are wasted and machine crashes caused by the proprietary G-dialects? Do you think this is justified?
Is there any reason, other than tradition/inertia for the different "standards?"

Let's kill off another struggling industry with unwanted/unecessary regulation.

There's a bit more variety and capability with machine tools than with cars and bikes.

None. Crashes are caused by people making mistakes.

No.
Competitive advantage for one.
The government doesn't know shit about manufacturing and should have as little say as possible about CNC controls.
It's really a non issue.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that D Murphy
alt.machines.cnc :

    Works for me ... err, it didn't.
    Interesting how the company's desire to save on printer toner results in setup sheets which come prefaded. Is that a one or a two...? Hey, it only cost $30,000 to figure that out...
Not a happy camper,
pyotr -- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
wrote on 14 Feb 2009 18:19:00 GMT in

Heh.
It's still a human error on some level. Changing the control wouldn't have made the set up sheet more legible at any rate...
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that D Murphy
alt.machines.cnc :

    Ya reckon?
    Computerization merely means we can make a mistake in a fraction of the time, or of more complexity, than we could make it manually. Which leads back to one of my rants, that you still need the skills to know what the machine is supposedly doing, and controls are "generic" at some level: "I know what I want to do, how do I do it on this machine?"     Which is different that the poor slob who only knows that you press these buttons in this sequence. (Even if I do have notes listing the sequence of buttons to push. Like to align everything after a power failure. We had that problem a lot with the Sabre, as it died.)
pyotr
-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

I'd like to see a compelling case made for that George.

Zero.
Something that doesn't happen need not be justified.

Besides productivity? No, I don't believe so. That one alone is enough.
JC

G code editing on a Haas control is superior to anything Fanuc has especially Fanuc's Manual Guide i which is the worst piece of crap I have ever used. Fanuc controls are reliable and fast but when it comes to editing G code Fanuc is probably the worst control available.

Why are you trying to do so much editing at the control?

Because Jon doesn't/didn't know how to use CAM.
Jon did say he couldn't get good reliable G-Code out of MasterCAM. He said it was because their post processor needed work but they were "too busy" (code for he hadn't a clue how to edit/fix it) and too cheap to pay someone a couple of bucks for a quick and simple post fix.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

This is an excellent question. We rarely have to edit at the machine or anywhere else. Post & go
snipped-for-privacy@rise.zzn.com wrote:

So you're not CNC programmers, you're CAM operators.
HTH
--
Black Dragon

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!

If you were choosing a machine/control, where would "ease of program editing" fall into your list of priorities?
On 15 Feb., 07:01, snipped-for-privacy@rise.zzn.com wrote:

Really. Are you probing castings? What happens when when the machinists running your machines (or do you have button pushing idiots because like Joe788 or Tom Brewer you're afraid of employing anyone who can think and program) hit hard spots in the material and the program needs to be adjusted?
You say you do aerospace work so if you're serious about aerospace I'd think you would be doing plenty of castings.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Yep. But even if I weren't why would that have anything to do with editing the program at the control? Are YOU probing castings?

Number one, why would you "adjust the program" because you had one casting with a hard spot? Number two, Mazatrol Tool Data does a terrific job of slowing down the feedrate, or even stopping altogether if something goes wrong (before the tool is munched).

I know people who are responsible for hundreds of "aerospace" part numbers, NONE of them being castings.

Why aren't you over at emastercam, flooding the forum with your beginner questions, "bill"?
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:13:29 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer

What does probing have to do with editing at the control?

Most overused excuse by programmer who can't/won't admit to making a mistake.....LOL........you use this a lot do ya Jon?

25 years in Aerospace machining castings, forgings, etc. and have yet to experience as many problems or machining issues over that span as you seem to have in a month Jon.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz
On Feb 15, 10:56 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I wonder why Jon doesn't want to answer such simple questions?