Haas Minimill, really accurate??

This mill has some accuracy, ,positioning, repeatability = .0001-.0002", for $30,000! Any one have experience running it? Is it really so accurate? Can the mill cut parts within .0002" accurate?

Protagonist

Likely a full 99.9% of the folks that are buying them haven't a clue as to how to accurately measure to the claimed resolution anyways.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Why is that? Picking the Haas mini mill, assume because it's accuracy, since the table is only 16" on "X" travel. Also, pricier than any other mills. Ran a small Hurco in the past, it couldn't interpolate a hole less than .001" round! JS

Reply to
Protagonist

Wanta buy a bridge in Brooklyn kid?

Reply to
Garlicdude

???????????

Reply to
Protagonist

within .0002 of what? They don't cut hard stuff very well. I know one guy that makes patterns out of foam. they are working well for that.

John

Reply to
john

================================ For those what been there and done that....

I will accept that when the phase of the moon is right, and jupiter aligns with mars, etc. the encoders and feed back *MAY* be just able to repeatability position the table to within

0.0002.

Is this just table repeat accuracy or can you expect to machine parts to +/- 0.0001?

What sort of tricks are required in the way of "tool holders to spindle," "tools to tool holders" and massaging the cutter to get this accuracy? Is the machine/room temperature controlled?

Is this accuracy possible just for the XY axis or does it include depth Z? How about the other axis such as the quill, head/table tilt and work rotate?

What sort of materials are being machined to make this sort of accuracy worthwhile? How are the materials stress relieved/normalized to prevent size changes after machining?

Other than optical, what sort of product requires that accuracy? Or is this another example where these parts must be better because the tolerances are tighter?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Unka George (George McDuffee)

...and at the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased, and the epitaph drear: ?A Fool lies here, who tried to hustle the East.?

Rudyard Kipling The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

In addition to being an anti-semite, you are also a moron.

It's painfully obvious that you do not understand what Accuracy, Positioning and Repeatability Tolerances actually are.

If you did, you wouldn't have posted such nonsense.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

I'd say that acheiving .0002 on this mill would be a wee bit of a stretch, but why don't you contact your local haas outlet, and let them demonstrate for you?

Reply to
Jon

and Repeatability Tolerances actually are.

Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Do you think he refuses to use Iscar inserts / cut off tools?

Refuses to use Noga or Shaviv debur tools?

Hanita endmills?

I don't think he's smart enought to use Cimatron. Probably insists BobCAD is better.

Jon "The Jew" Banquer

Reply to
jon_banquer

and Repeatability Tolerances actually are.

No! I don't, because I spend 6 years in Tool&Dies shop and 20 years in machine shops. Presently work for a optical company, where 5 micron is a semi-finish loose tolerance. Sucker like, you going to preach about accuracy to me!

Reply to
Protagonist

and Repeatability Tolerances actually are.

========================= Like the bartender says at the cheap ginmill I go to when the shouting starts in the back by the pool tables (as he pick up the baseball bat) "Take it out in the parking lot -- we got people in here thats trying to drink."

Unka George (George McDuffee)

...and at the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased, and the epitaph drear: ?A Fool lies here, who tried to hustle the East.?

Rudyard Kipling The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Positioning and Repeatability Tolerances actually are.

Bullshit, he's batting at 100%

An idiot, and a painfully obvious one at that.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Looks like, you talking about yourself, retard! You ignorance is obvious!

JS

Reply to
Protagonist

and Repeatability Tolerances actually are.

I learned my trade 30 years ago butt head Jew! Back than, we didn't even have DRO on machines or a calculator. We grind, hone and lap to make close tolerance parts, never mind the expensive crap you talking about. js

Reply to
Protagonist

Ya....sure...looks like it...

Now just ask yourself...who was it here recently sold his tool box on ebay ???

BTW, I hear Dominoe's Pizza is hiring...

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

i would not be surprised if accuracy, positioning and repeatability was

0.0002" with no load.

but would it be the same in real life, when a piece is being machined?

tools

Reply to
toolsntoys4u

IMO, Iscar makes the very best cut off inserts. & their IC 907 turning insert is great on SS.

Reply to
Why

SVL, my Haas mini mill is so damn accurate I can't tell difference using two new sears tape measures! But I must add it's only got 425 hrs on it . I'm a lathe man mills suck (no 12' bar feed).

Reply to
Why

And so now that we've heard from the other .1%--just left curious as to what's still open to discussion here....

You saying you could maybe use some more mill work or what ?

I can perhaps help fix that bar feed issue if your interested--just appreciate keep it under wraps.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT